For roadmaps, I've ordered the "Travel Pack" from AAA. It's been a while and I don't know if they still provide that service (it is/was a free service for members). The routes are highlighted on the map(s) and they give turn-by-turn directions. I usually skip the turn-by-turn stuff and use the paper maps as a preplanning thing (still carried in the car during travel though). I have a GPS but don't use that much for highway navigation (don't need it), but it's good for finding things like a Joe's Crab Shack restaurant in San Diego, and things of that sort!

For topo maps for hiking, I print them off from the TOPO! program I have on my computer. these are nice because you can print the specific area you are interested in from full-detail scanned USGS maps. However, your typical home printer only does 8-1/2x11 or 8-1/2x14 paper, so the maps cover too small of an area for anything much more than a day hike. You can print multiple maps but that's a pain to manage. And, if your want to take a compas bearing on that big mountain you can see from the trail, there's a good chance it's not on your little 8-1/2x11 map your printed.

The best "for purchase" topo hiking maps I've found (by far!) are put out by a company called Sky Terrain. If you can find them for your area, they are great. But it may be hard to find your area as their selection is limited. Since I live near Denver I use their map of Rocky Mountain National Park and Indian Peaks Wilderness Area all the time. Also their Boulder/Nederland map. I find these unequaled for detail, clarity, waterproofness, etc. REI handles them, or you can get them online.