I grew up in a household where my mom saved all the bacon grease in a can in the fridge, and when it filled up, she tossed it and started a new one. One day I asked her why, and she said it was something her mom had done and didn't really know why. Ironically, if she had asked *me*, I could have told her exactly why--she was born in 1935 and my Scots grandmother was contributing that grease to the "war effort."

Unfortunately, growing up that close to the Depression and war years influenced my mom's habits and hence my own. I've also lived through periods of deprivation, one a very bad time when meat for the month was literally a couple 3# boxes of bacon ends. Rearing 7 kids on a farm that had limited water during the summer meant piles of extra clothes. Not to mention enough food to outfit Coxie's Army at a moment's notice.

So while I'm mentally capable of surviving just about anything, I'm emotionally attached to my "stuff." Stuff=security. And I'm also guilty of having to move one pile in order to get to something I really use, albeit occasionally. I've read more decluttering and organizing books than I can remember, but the stuff persists.

I refuse to do garage sales as they are much more hassle than they're usually worth. I've also had excellent experience on eBay as both a buyer and seller, but that too takes time. DH has sold several things on eBay, but his junk is actually collectible. We actually have one of those "go-between" outfits in our dinky little town, but most of my stuff wouldn't be worth the effort.

Then I discovered Freecycle, and that my trash is truly someone else's treasure. It's really good karma to be able to let go of your stuff, and between that and Goodwill, I've been able to "release" a lot of perfectly good things to happy, grateful people. In return, I've gotten items that I genuinely needed for free--like over 100 brand new frames for the beehives we're getting this spring.

There's nothing wrong with re-gifting either. I just tell the new recipient, "you know, someone gave me this/I had this just sitting there collecting dust, and I really thought you might be able to make use of it/like it." The recipient is usually touched by your thoughtfulness, and you're twice blessed by your generosity and a shiny new freed up space.

Jane

Edited by BraveheartsProgeny (01/28/09 12:21 AM)