Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164000 - 01/20/09 06:09 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: TeacherRO]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Otter boxes are nice, but heavy - I would use tupperware.
Can we assume a jacket, cell phone, knife, hat, sunglasses, map in your eHc* ?

Water carried elsewhere?

100' of paracord seems like alot.

I tend to carry more meds - 20 pain meds are tiny and useful.

TRO

( *everyday Hiking carry)

I like the otter boxes for waterproofing and durability. The weight is negligible for the benefit.

Yes, you can safely assume proper clothing, knife (as mentioned above), cell phone, hat, sunglasses, map, compass, water for the rest of my hiking gear. I'm hoping to acquire a GPS soon as well.

I have another FAK that is more robust when camping. This FAK is more personal sized. Note taken for the medications. I'm thinking of adding more benadryl and some more tylenol. Acquired some packets recently and there is still plently of room to add them.

Interesting thought about paracord. So, the question is, how much is enough, how much is too little, and how much is too much?

I carry all of this in a camelback, so that takes care of the water equation.

#164008 - 01/20/09 08:59 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: Mike_H]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Interesting thought about paracord. So, the question is, how much is enough, how much is too little, and how much is too much?

That is a really good question.
I always find that when I need rope or cord I need either an awful lot or a very little bit.
100 feet of cord is not a lot when you start rigging tents or tarps. It is only 10 lengths of 10 feet.

I do have a few thousand feet of braided nylon masons line (100 lbs test) and a couple of miles of finer stuff like fish line, thread and dental floss.
(but I don't carry all of it with me all of the time, just a little bit of string and a pocket container of floss most days.)

I also like having lots of cheap string around too.
Plastic binder twine can be very useful and is dirt cheap.
A roll of binder twine is a lot of twine.

I have seen reels of poly rope thrown away on construction sites.
Poly might not be great for strength, holding knots or handling, but you can not get rope at a lower cost than that.

I don't buy Paracord because 550 is almost impossible to get here and is way over priced.
I get the stuff they sell to climbers instead.
Which reminds me to stop on the way home and buy a few more of hundred feet of it.

Edited by scafool (01/20/09 09:05 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar

#164012 - 01/20/09 10:38 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: GarlyDog]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Wondering if anyone has weighed an Otter box and compared it to a comparably sized Pelican case? The Pelican's have one advantage, I think anyway, in that they use a clear lid, makes it easier to ID the contents if one uses more than one in the same size. The Pelican's can be found pretty cheap too. Never priced an Otter so I can't compare that either.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#164014 - 01/20/09 10:48 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: JohnE]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: JohnE
Wondering if anyone has weighed an Otter box and compared it to a comparably sized Pelican case? The Pelican's have one advantage, I think anyway, in that they use a clear lid, makes it easier to ID the contents if one uses more than one in the same size. The Pelican's can be found pretty cheap too. Never priced an Otter so I can't compare that either.

JohnE

Otter box also sells the same models with clear lids. I opted to get the solid/padded versions.

#164022 - 01/20/09 11:43 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: Mike_H]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Taking your paracord question to another thread new thread on paracord...

#164043 - 01/21/09 01:17 AM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: JohnE]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I use Pelicans for electronics when on the water or likely to get rained on.
They are heavy but hard cases and water tight.
All the ones I have are solid colours, not clear.
I am actualy not familiar with Otter boxes.

#164044 - 01/21/09 01:19 AM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Pelican/Otter Box.....

Same soup, different bowl.

RIP OBG

#164140 - 01/21/09 12:08 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: Desperado]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Yeah, both are very similar. I was actually surprised how neatly 2 regular size altoids tins and one small tin seemed to fit perfectly in the one model. Made organization of my supplies much easier.

Those snares were tough to pack.

#164866 - 01/24/09 10:57 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: Mike_H]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
Need to remember to pack a honey packet to feed the ants. For amusement when you're surviving, I mean.

#164997 - 01/25/09 11:35 PM Re: My Survival Gear for my Day Pack (a few pics) [Re: TeacherRO]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Otter boxes are nice, but heavy - I would use tupperware.

Tupperware changes size over time. It also gets VERY brittle in cold and I've broken several just by having settling occur in my trunk.

100' of paracord seems like alot.

I think a lot of us carry 100s (and other lengths). When rigging, using bear bags, clothelines and using it for a number of other tasks, it runs out quickly.

I tend to carry more meds - 20 pain meds are tiny and useful.

like what? I think this is the weakest part of my prep. I also wonder how the temp swings in cars acts on meds. I can have the temp in my trunk go from near 40s to 90 F in the same day. In the summer, it might go well above 120 F.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.