Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#163921 - 01/20/09 01:44 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: redflare]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Can't you put those sole sticky glue on the tread to improve traction?

athlete shoes have extra glue on the tread to help them sprint or play basket ball.

#163922 - 01/20/09 01:44 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: redflare]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've recently tried two different models of L.L. Bean boots:

Men's Gore-Tex Day Hikers, All Leather; TA49792; $109

Men's Gore-Tex Cresta Hikders, All Leather; TA20557; $179

I did a lot of reading of reviews from many different sources, and heard nothing but good about the Cresta Hikers. I bought the Cresta's first and REALLY like them - can't say anything bad about them. I bought the lower cost Day Hikers on kind of a whim - based upon a suggestion from someone - as a daily wear beat-em-up boot.

The Cresta Hikers felt much more comfortable right off - with hardly any break-in. The Day Hikers required more break-in, but are now very comfortable. I wish the Cresta Hikers had the same plastic top-cap found on the Day Hikers.

I'd highly recommend either. Both have Vibram soles - but different treads. The Cresta's is a bit more "classic".

Ken

#163929 - 01/20/09 02:14 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: scafool]
snoman Offline

Originally Posted By: scafool
Which boots have the grippiest soles

The ones with the crampons on them!

Seriously, I bought a pair of boots from Cabela's with what I think were called 'Airbob' soles. Great traction outside, though I thought they didn't last very long. I have no idea how they'd work on wet steel.

- Dave

#163964 - 01/20/09 12:13 PM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: scafool]
Muleskinner Offline
Stranger

Loc: Missouri
I hunt a lot, all over the United States. From the Mountains to the plains, I have found the "Air Bob sole" to have the best traction in the outdoors enviornment.

Muleskinner

#163967 - 01/20/09 12:32 PM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: Muleskinner]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Muleskinner
I hunt a lot, all over the United States. From the Mountains to the plains, I have found the "Air Bob sole" to have the best traction in the outdoors enviornment.

Muleskinner

"Air Bob sole's" are great on outdoor environments like you said, but suck on wet/frozen steel. I had a difficult day of it until I realized the issue. Mud/dirt, yep... ice/snow encrusted stuff, nope.

RIP OBG

#163985 - 01/20/09 03:56 PM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: Desperado]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

FiveTen stealth rubber is the grippiest rubber on earth, or so they claim. I have the soles on a couple of pairs of shoes and I would have to agree. It's unbelievable how well they grip, you almost feel like you're glued to the ground. Unfortunately on the shoes I've tried the quality isn't very good or very comfortable, but it's almost worth the discomfort for the grip they provide.

I've only found one lightweight hiking boot that uses stealth rubber in their regular hiking boot, the Vasque Catalyst Mid. It's the best of both worlds, a comfortable shoe with great sole. The rubber does wear out faster than a normal sole, but that's the price you pay for friction.

You can also look for approach shoes, most climbing shoe brands have one. They are basically rock climbing rubber soles on a light weight non-rockclimbing shoe (no boots). They're made to wear while hiking to a climbing spot, where you need a comfortable shoe to walk longer distances in, but also grippy soles to do scrambling. Doesn't sound like you're going to using these for hiking, so don't know if this'll work for you.

#164078 - 01/21/09 03:00 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: ducktapeguy]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
You might try a safety boot with a non-slip sole from these guys:

http://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index....partnumber=8280

They apparently are pretty confident in the technology, somewhere on the site it mentioned that they have a "slip and fall" warrantee where they'll reimburse up to $5000 for any workers comp claim because you slipped in their boot.

- Ron

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 583 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.