Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
I'm pretty sure it would work, haven't you ever done the science experiments in school where you boil the water in a paper cup? The water draws away the heat fast enough to prevent burning.

Would you use this only to boil water as a way of heating up another bag, or have to food directly in the bag?

I was thinking about boiling water in the bag at first, but I see no reason a person could not boil food in the water.
Once you can boil water you can cook all sorts of things in it, have sterile water, and even make a cuppa tea.

I was thinking maybe I could poke a stick or something through the top part of it to hold it above the fire, or maybe tie a string to a top corner and hang it from that.
What worries me us the bag might get too soft above the water to hold any weight.

I think Saturday I will try the idea with a zip lock baggy or two and then look for a "boil in the bag" type baggy.
I don't think a zip lock will stand the heat of boiling water.
An oven bag would certainly stand the heat, but most I have seen are pretty flimsy.

It would not be as good as a real pot, but if I am carrying baggies in my emergency kit anyhow it might be a nice trick to have available.