Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#162731 - 01/13/09 12:12 AM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: samhain]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: samhain

Couple of thoughts:
1) I would be leary of putting a fire too close to a debris shelter because of the fire hazard and the fact that I would also be using the fire to cook. Not a good idea to have food scents too close to sleeping area.

Food scents are all over your body regardless of where you cook and you not will fool Mr. Bear any easier by cooking away from your shelter. And yes bears do sometimes come out of hibernation in winter looking for food. Maintaining a bare and clean campsite is crucial and will go a long way in preventing any midnight visits.

Also it is still a good idea not to cook or leave a fire burning in your shelter if it is made of mainly dry wood and debris.

3) Heating rocks, or aluminum water bottle, enclosed candle, putting coals in a pot, etc might be options to warming the inside of a well constructed shelter.

Heating rocks in a covered cast iron fry pan over a campfire then placing the pan into the tent on a solid and stable piece of wood = a nice warm night. I did this every night in the cooler months when I lived in a tent out in the woods and beside a river for almost 9 months years back.

Then again, I will readily admit that I've never spent the night in a debris shelter yet, so my tune may change as I freeze my tilly-tail off...

Most likely many tunes will change...:)

#162761 - 01/13/09 01:36 AM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: dweste]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: dweste
Large fires around debris shelters may be a recipe for disaster no matter how vigilant you are.

That's why you use sheets of bark from a fallen tree instead of dry leaves or grass to cover the shelter. The bark is a lot less prone to catch fire. In the areas I camp, there are often fallen trees that you can peel the bark off in sheets with use of a hatchet or machete. Any loose dry stuff goes under me for insulation. I usually take a wool blanket which is adequate to arrest any sparks that come from the fire. I don't build a huge fire, and being conscious of the wind direction and where you place your shelter can largely mitigate the spark hazard.

When my friends and I go primitive camping, each of us has a small canvas tarp about 7' X 9'. When there's four or so of us, we'll throw up a small wigwam and put the fire inside. One of those tarps and two wool blankets is usually adequate in pretty cold weather. If there is less than four, we'll pitch a three sided lean-to with the fire in the middle.

Tom

#162800 - 01/13/09 03:14 AM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: TomApple]
aeaas Offline
Stranger

Loc: Boulder, CO
I wonder if making a fire bed then once the dirt is on building a debris shelter over it is feasible? I guess it depends on whether you have the time to put both of them together? Seems like the best of both worlds though.

#162840 - 01/13/09 11:58 AM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: aeaas]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

On paper and for demonstration purposes, firebeds look good. The problem is when you really need one, the firbed will be made under less then idea conditions and materials. These factors may mean that the firebed though dug down and covered still emit smoke and gas from the wood smoldering. Trying to sleep on top of this with your lungs and eyes burning from the smoke and gas makes for a real sleepless night....There are much better ways of keeping warm with fire then this method.

#162852 - 01/13/09 01:39 PM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: ]
jhlewis10 Offline

Our weather will be below zero in the next few days, and warming up to 15 deg by the time I am in the field. The only tools I will have are a folding knife, and a contractor trash bag. I will carry a gortex bivy and bag as a back up.

We will have one good fire going all night long away from the shelter.

The ground is frozen solid. I will have access to snow, leaves, grass, and some bark. Very few conifers. I carry a messenger bag with me at all times and I want to test living with it alone for 2 days.

I am thinking build up a large bed to get me off the ground and fill the contractor bag with insulation.

Depending on the material I may try a fire in/near the shelter.

Anyhow thanks for the tips I will post an AAR after.

#162992 - 01/13/09 11:53 PM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: aeaas]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Fire beds, like desert sills and tree wells, look really, really spiffy on paper. But how much time was spent setting that up? Now lets try it in sub-zero weather, with a few feet of snow on it. Heck, let's just try it with hard frozen grown. You're digging a shallow grave, then building a fire at the bottom of it.... yeah....

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#162993 - 01/13/09 11:56 PM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: jhlewis10]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would do it differently. But you also don't say where you are- I do snow, lots of snow, freezing rain, and so cold the whimpering on your jacket is the thermometer zipper pull wanting to come in where it is warm. *laughs*

I'd do a snow trench, and use the debris under it and on supports to make a roof. Then do a cul de sac a few feet away with a platform for a small fire, which is used for heating water to go in the bottles. Those go in the shelter with me.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#162998 - 01/14/09 12:08 AM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: jhlewis10]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: jhlewis10
Our weather will be below zero in the next few days, and warming up to 15 deg by the time I am in the field. The only tools I will have are a folding knife, and a contractor trash bag. I will carry a gortex bivy and bag as a back up.

The ground is frozen solid. I will have access to snow, leaves, grass, and some bark. Very few conifers. I carry a messenger bag with me at all times and I want to test living with it alone for 2 days.

I am thinking build up a large bed to get me off the ground and fill the contractor bag with insulation.

Sounds like fun, but if this is your first attempt at survival shelter building, given the conditions you describe I would suggest having more of a back up plan than a bivy / bag (hot hands , tarp, space blanket, tent, that type of thing). Probably wouldn't need it but if you did, you'd really need it.

If conditions deteriorate dramatically, you may not have the luxury of first time mistakes...we all make them that's how we learn.

Give yourself a cushion to make the lesson less painful.

The rest of the gang here would probably tell me to chill out and quit worrying ("you sound like my mother").

#163001 - 01/14/09 12:12 AM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: samhain]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: jhlewis10

Sounds like fun, but if this is your first attempt at survival shelter building, given the conditions you describe I would suggest having more of a back up plan than a bivy / bag (hot hands , tarp, space blanket, tent, that type of thing). Probably wouldn't need it but if you did, you'd really need it.

If conditions deteriorate dramatically, you may not have the luxury of first time mistakes...we all make them that's how we learn.

Give yourself a cushion to make the lesson less painful.

The rest of the gang here would probably tell me to chill out and quit worrying ("you sound like my mother").

Nah Samhain, I was thinking the same thing. For a first time in the ideal conditions listed, I think there needs to be a plan B.

The cost of no plan B can indeed be very high.

RIP OBG

#163013 - 01/14/09 01:07 AM Re: Debris Shelters In Winter [Re: Desperado]
jhlewis10 Offline

Thanks for the concern. Not my first time building shelters. First attempt at sleeping overnight in one with out my bag and bivy. I will be with guys who are trained in this and that have medical training.

I may end up not sleeping much and doing a lot of burpees but thats ok. We will have a central fire going.

I am in the Midwest US. 6 inches snow low of 10 deg.

Sitting in that tree stand for 12 hours waiting for the perfect deer kind of gets me prepared for dealing with the cold.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:41 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.