My sole experience with a natural disaster was a large earthquake in a small central CA town. Water, sewer, and natural gas out, electricity restored in a short time. Many homes knocked flat, or at least off of their foundations, downtown area destroyed. Within hours water buffaloes from a nearby Naval Air Station arrived, within 12 or so hours lots of portapotties (plus many almost immediately from a local business), within 24 hours more canned and bottled water than could be used from a beer brewery in southern CA, and lots of eatables from a variety of sources. Within a few days a huge circus tent, used to feed folks via the Red Cross (one of the few good things I have to say about them). Within a week or so numerous single wide mobile homes from FEMA (one of the few good things I have to say about them also). Within a week or so every natural gas worker PG&E had in the state arrived to completely replace the underground NG lines (in places, the old gas lines were completely rotted away, the gas had been flowing thru holes in the dirt for years. The dirt was so impregnated with gas that it would burn!) I know that this isn't exactly what happened with Katrina and other hurricanes, I guess we were lucky.

Given our lifestyle and the capabilities of our home on wheels, I figure we have a couple weeks worth of water if we watch it, and by tightening our belts a few notches from time to time, probably that much food. After that, we are gonna need some help...