The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#162318 - 01/10/09 06:42 PM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: scafool]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... car at least partly on the pavement, this is to shield them from traffic..."

We used to do that, officers still got picked off by passing traffic (I have had big rigs actually brush my fanny as they went by at 55++ mph). Then we got smart and started walking up on the passenger side of the violators vehicle, staying away from the traffic completely. Muchomore safe that way. Officers (and violators) still get run over, but not nearly as many...

#162352 - 01/10/09 10:47 PM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I have watched a trooper "accidentally" drop his citation forms holder into traffic. Did one heck of a number on the windshield of that car.

Edit: This was in the days before dash cam's.

Edited by Desperado (01/10/09 10:57 PM)

RIP OBG

#162358 - 01/10/09 11:14 PM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: Desperado]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Used to be in Ontario, Canada that the blue lights were only for Snow Plows. It was comforting to see that small blue flashing light up ahead as it meant the road was freshly plowed and if you kept the light in view you were usually not going to run off the road.

Not sure what they use now.

#162367 - 01/11/09 01:24 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Mike_in_NKY
Used to be in Ontario, Canada that the blue lights were only for Snow Plows. It was comforting to see that small blue flashing light up ahead as it meant the road was freshly plowed and if you kept the light in view you were usually not going to run off the road.

Not sure what they use now.

At the moment the plows still run with flashing blue.
Police are switching to a combination of blue and red lights.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm

Flashing blue light on snow-removal equipment

(31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions. 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

Restriction on use of flashing blue light

(32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except,

(a) a person operating a road service vehicle in the circumstances described in subsection (31); or

(b) a person operating a police department vehicle, together with a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of red light, as permitted by subsection (14.1). 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (8).

Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (2).

#162385 - 01/11/09 05:36 AM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: scafool]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i recall a public service ad on Canadian TV to keep back from the blue light..when you pulled up too close a cartoon guy opened fire like a tail gunner..

#162409 - 01/11/09 03:54 PM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Yeah, if they are dispensing sand/salt it will do a number on the front of a car. I was young and didn't know this. After I bought a new windshield and headlight assemblies for the Honda Accord I had at the time, I had a monetary reminder to never for get. Like driving behind a sand blaster.

RIP OBG

#162658 - 01/12/09 06:16 PM Re: Interesting LED flashlight... [Re: Desperado]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Mags may have had their day, but outside of doubling as weapons, they are poor choices for flashlights these days. They lose on weight, efficiency, and most importantly, output. I have a fleet of mags, and they're there for light, but mainly for their other capabilities. I did swap out the bulbs for the Terralux inserts and they do perform better, but not on par with smaller lights with real heatsinks and MUCH better efficiency and output.

I'm not eager t part with mine just yet as they have another purpose. But if it is really light I seek, mags aren't the first things I grab.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 424 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.