Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#162052 - 01/09/09 03:50 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Ranter]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Originally Posted By: Ranter
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem! (spoken by a guy with every GM factory certification except automatic transmission repair and roughly $30,000.00 in tools) The stuff mentioned so far is great but I have to admit the thing I find myself reaching for more often than not on "rescue repairs" is flashlights. Sometimes lots of them!

As seen several times on many of his home repairs. His hammer is one that even the mighty THOR would envy to own. Unfortunately every time he tries to pound / fix something with his flashlights it looks like a 70's disco for about the first 10 seconds then it goes dark. Then he reaches for the hammer, sparks fly and it is announced that it is an electrical problem and it will have to wait till the morning.

Rantor is my hero. hahahahahahahahaha (love ya brother)

#162059 - 01/09/09 04:14 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: epirider]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Just for the sake of amusement..

TOOLS EXPLAINED:

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. It will also remove fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, "Oh crap"

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until they melt.

SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short to use in your remodeling job.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

D**N-IT TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "D**M-IT" at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need to finish your current project.

#162061 - 01/09/09 04:24 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Ranter]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Rantor frequently comes over to my garage where I store all of the above tools and practice using them. That would explain why he was able to so accurately describe the uses and results of them. Like I said he is my hero.

#162074 - 01/09/09 05:28 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
"Same with chisels, I love mine, but I can't imagine people thikning, "I absolutely need a chisel right now!". I guess it would depend on the type of house you live in."

When you're in the middle of a recipe that calls for brown sugar and what you find in the cupboard is of construction-grade hardness, the best solution IME is a hammer and chisel.

#162078 - 01/09/09 05:57 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Blast]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I would add a hacksaw or one of those little copper pipe-cutters and maybe even a small torch with flux and solder. Or whatever it takes to make minor plumbing repairs to whatever type of pipes you have in your house. All of that stuff is very easy to use.

#162079 - 01/09/09 06:05 AM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
There were a few items that I thought were somewhat unnecessary, but maybe it's probably because i'm thinking about it in a different context than the magazine. I think I've got a plumb bob somewhere, but I don't think I've ever used it in my life, and if I ever needed one, it's probably faster for me to just find a piece of string and weight than look for it. Maybe I just haven't worked on the project that required it. Also, I've never used a pocket socket wrench, but for a home toolbox I can't see why I'd want one over a regular adjustable wrench. For most people, a tape measure is a lot more useful than a 6" steel rule.

There are a lot of tools that could be on this list, I was just thinking about the most basic tools that people should keep around the house for even the simplest home emergency. My list could go on for 3-4 pages of recommended tools. Right now, probably my most often used tool is a 4 1/2" grinder (actually 2 of them, they like to be in pairs). They are indispensible for the type of stuff I like to do, but I can't imagine the average homeowner getting much use out of it. Same with chisels, I love mine, but I can't imagine people thikning, "I absolutely need a chisel right now!". I guess it would depend on the type of house you live in.

Exactly, an apartment dweller can do just fine with a small assortment of basic hand tools and maybe an electric drill. Anyone who owns a house though will need a LOT more stuff. At least the folks who like to be reasonably independent and have the skills to fix stuff around the house. In my experience, that requires mostly a basic set of metal- and woodworking tools. On the other hand, quick fixing most electrical stuff doesn't take a lot of hand tools so it's not such a big deal.

You also have to plan ahead. If you have a job that calls for a block plane you'll also need a decent bench and some clamps at the minimum. A bench vise is also absolutely necessary for any precision work. An angle grinder is probably too much for a lot of folks but in at least moderately skilled hands it's a really versatile tool.

#162124 - 01/09/09 03:51 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Tom_L]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I couldn't get by around my home without these four additions:

(1) Solidly built LED flashlight - both low power (small sized) and higher power models

(2) A Dremel Tool with lots of extra bits - cutters, grinders, sanders, etc.

(3) A utility knife you aren't afraid to use hard - therefore no "trophy knives" - I use a $10 stainless Mora for this

(4) Paracord

#162133 - 01/09/09 04:41 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Ranter]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Thanks Ranter.
That was the best tool explanation I have read yet.

#162136 - 01/09/09 04:57 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: Blast]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
A toilet plunger, that should definitely be on the list. I would hope at least every home had one of those. I'd much rather grab the plunger than the auger to clear a plugged toilet. It might not work as well, but the snake is a last resort on a clogged toilet for obvious reasons

A plunger doesn't cut it when a 2-yr. old gets bored...
She flushed even washcloth in the linen closet.cry

-Blast

One of my twins accidently dropped his carabiner/compass in & figured it was a gonner so he might as well flush it. eek

Forget the plunger and the auger. I got to de-install/re-install the toilet for that one.

#162360 - 01/10/09 11:19 PM Re: Indispensible DIY tools [Re: 7point82]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Regular stick welder.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.