Well, that list could be improved a little IMHO. I don't think a block plane is really a necessity for basic repairs though it might come in handy. You could also live with fewer pliers. But I can think of quite a few important things not covered in any of the two lists:

- good or at least decent files and rasps (Microplane works great for wood and soft materials)
- wire/bolt cutters
- various hex and Torx bits
- paint thinner/White spirit, alcohol and acetone
- metal hacksaw w/ at least 2 quality blades
- handsaw (for wood & laminated)
- at least one combo sharpening stone
- basic set of wood chisels
- small propane torch (necessary for soldering, heating stuff, even heat treating small improvised tools in a pinch)
- if at all possible, a machinist (bench) vise; if there is no room for a work bench, get a folding one
- at least 4 clamps
- 4" angle grinder with cutting (thin ones) and grinding discs (both stone and flapwheels for sanding)
- maybe a bench grinder with one coarse and one fine wheel; the ones with one wheel and a small belt grinder on the other side are very useful, too.

If you add those to your list you will be well equipped for most repairs around the house. Some of those tools require a little skill, but definitely less than using a block plane properly. smile

Hand tools certainly wear out with heavy use but a second hand, quality hand tool in usable condition will be a much better investment than the super cheap Chinese crap you get at the hardware store. Stay away from the dirt cheap stuff because it really is bad - screwdrivers softer than butter on a warm day, $1 hammers with a cast iron head that shatters if you drop it on the floor accidentally, I've seen them all. wink