Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#161894 - 01/08/09 01:42 PM Re: Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic... [Re: digimark]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I have friends and family with both types. You are getting great advice. More important, it sounds like you have the situation well in hand.

One thing I have gleaned from observation, is that those who make their diet a priority seem to feel better more often.

In the very near future, life will get back to normal again for you and your family.

Best wishes

#162186 - 01/09/09 09:35 PM Re: Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic... [Re: digimark]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
My 9 year old boy was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 4. I'm an occasional lurker to this forum but thought I might be able to help a little with this post, even if I am a bit late to the game smile

Originally Posted By: digimark
My wife is pushing for the medic-alert bracelet or necklace. I agree with her, but I'm not sure at 7 that he's mature enough to wear it properly all the time. Right now it seems more likely to end up shoved under the bed...

I wouldn't hesitate with getting the medic-alert tag. My son has been wearing one since shortly after his diagnosis and it is an unquestioned part of what he wears at all times. For your child's age, I'd stick with the bracelet style though ... the sport bracelet (nylon & velcro) seems to work best. My son has only recently moved to a dog-tag style.

Same thing with the insulin pump... He's basically not ready for it yet, as the program doctors want him to graduate to a basal/bolus injection protocol and see that he can handle that for a while before they consider the pump. I'm just glad we have good insurance with my wife's federal job -- those insulin pumps are $5K and up.

My son absolutely hates the idea of the pump, but from what I understand it is a great piece of technology for kids whose glucose level is really hard to control. I agree its something to consider in the coming years, but not something to worry about right now. I know how big the learning curve is, best to stick with the basics now!

You are very blessed to have insurance for this all, given the cost I know I'd have a much harder time without the coverage I have.

It sounds like you have a good support system with the hospital too. We also have a great programme at our Children's Hospital here for which I am incredibly grateful.

We have two of the Glucagon red injectors, one went to the school. Two more should be coming later this month. Those injectors are expensive too -- $175. We might have to game the system abit to get a hold of a few more of them. It seems like something I'd like to keep in my emergency kit.

One word of caution, the Glucagon injectors only have shelf life of one year.

Thanks for the advice about the glucose tabs. We've been using apple juice but it seems like common sense that nobody is going to confuse labeled tablets for candy!

Originally we used candies or fruit leathers but have eventually moved to the Dex4 tabs. For whatever reason, my son stopped responding well to those other sugars and they just wouldn't raise his blood sugar level enough to get him out of the low. The Dex4 work great now, but I'd say use what works (if you do use candies or something more "common" I would recommend pre-packaging them in per-serving baggies - its much easier).

Also, get your boy to start carrying his necessities with him. I (or my wife) carry needles or insulin if needed, but my son carries his meter, strips & Dex4 tablets himself ... we started this habit right away too. He uses a little caribbeaner on his meter pouch (his "kit") and hooks it onto his belt loop. He either carries the tablets with the meter or in a pocket. Not that we haven't run into issues with forgetting things, but ultimately it seems best.

Another piece of gear we've found helpful is a watch with multiple alarms. He has a Casio Baby-G which has 5 alarms which are set for each of his snack/meal times except breakfast. Its a good tool to keep us all on track. I also set my own watch to go off when its time for his night-time needle.

As someone else mentioned, Diabetic camps for kids are great. My guy was finally old enough to go to one last year and it was an incredibly positive experience.

Another point made earlier was to get his teachers involved. Every year we sit down with our son's teacher right before the school year begins and educate her on what type 1 diabetes is and what my son needs to do to manage it while at school. The Canadian Diabetes Association publishes a document called Kids with Diabetes in your Care which is very helpful for this (I'm pretty sure I've seen an American version too). This has always been a very positive experience.

I'm likely forgetting some useful tidbits, so if you have any other questions at all feel free to ask away!

#162251 - 01/10/09 04:29 AM Re: Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic... [Re: digimark]
nursetim Offline

Loc: the last bastion of PHRASECENS...
Thanks for the advice. We're working through the Children's National Medical Center in DC (that was the hospital he was evac-ed to the night we took him in) and we're in the midst of the full program there, with multiple all-day training sessions and calling in his blood sugar levels every day. I think my brain's still throbbing from yesterday's training session though. 8-)

I picked up a One Touch Ultra Mini meter from the pharmacy for $20, it uses the same test strips as the main meter we're using. I put that and a bottle of 25 strips in my truck's mondo FAK. I'll look into the disposable ones too, thanks.

Great idea about the little 12V portable fridges -- we have two them -- a tiny one and a bigger one, although we've never used them to this point. I'll plug in the little one and see how well it works. We've learned that unopened insulin vials are good for a year (is that refrigerated or in general?) and once they've begun to be tapped, they'll last up to 2 months in the fridge and up to a month at room temp.

My wife is pushing for the medic-alert bracelet or necklace. I agree with her, but I'm not sure at 7 that he's mature enough to wear it properly all the time. Right now it seems more likely to end up shoved under the bed...

Same thing with the insulin pump... He's basically not ready for it yet, as the program doctors want him to graduate to a basal/bolus injection protocol and see that he can handle that for a while before they consider the pump. I'm just glad we have good insurance with my wife's federal job -- those insulin pumps are $5K and up.

We have two of the Glucagon red injectors, one went to the school. Two more should be coming later this month. Those injectors are expensive too -- $175. We might have to game the system abit to get a hold of a few more of them. It seems like something I'd like to keep in my emergency kit.

Thanks for the advice about the glucose tabs. We've been using apple juice but it seems like common sense that nobody is going to confuse labeled tablets for candy!

It seems overwhelming at times, but at least we've got options they didn't have years ago. This disease was an immediate death sentence 100 years ago, and I'm certainly grateful he's still here and otherwise healthy.

Again, thanks for the advice, and as far as being equipped to survive with my son's having this disease, it looks like we just added a half-dozen items to my checklists...

Just a quick thing, The test strip will degrade with high temperature so keeping them in the truck might not work in the summer.
If you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and his or your blood sugar drops to low and can not take the glucose orally and you do not have the glucagon with you. Take the glucose and give it PR (per rectum). The rectum is a very rich capillary bed like the under side of your tongue. It sounds disgusting but it works.

In a way your son is luckier than you and I are being typeII. They are making incredible advances in the typeI arena. Good luck and smooth sailing to you and your boy.

#162672 - 01/12/09 07:18 PM Re: Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic... [Re: nursetim]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Hard plastic rolls of glucose tablets from Wal Greens.

a friend bought 6 testers (some came with valid strips) from flea markets and thrift stores. He got them over about a year. Theyall take the same strips as his and he has them in all kits and at the house.

My grandfather used to work on trains with a guy who would lapse suddenly. He carried packets of grape jelly for him. Easier to swallow in a pinch than dry tablets.

#164220 - 01/21/09 06:47 PM Re: Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic... [Re: yeti]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I found the thread "interesting" - I ended up in the hospital 1/5 and ended up with a damaged pancrius (sp) - I'm now insulin dependand too - just learning this as the hospital did most of it until the 19th
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#164231 - 01/21/09 07:14 PM Re: Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic... [Re: KG2V]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
According to the folks I have constant contact with the insulin pump is the only way to fly. (assuming you can.)

RIP OBG

#164851 - 01/24/09 07:37 PM Re: Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic... [Re: KG2V]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
Sorry to hear of your illness, and in many ways, it's harder for you to deal with all the meds, shots, measurements, etc, than it is for my son. You been in your habits for a long time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by chaosmagnet
11:56 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/20/24 04:58 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.