OK, I find it easier to think of the problems first.
I also tend to keep it pretty simple.
1: You can lose power.
This is not the problem but it creates problems.

Two approaches.
You could get a generator to supply power. This means an expensive piece of gear and the fuel storage for it. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a small back up generator, but you do need to maintain it and have fuel for it...

Or,
you could do some manual power for electric power substitutions and work arounds some of the problems you will face.
If nothing electric works it means no fridge, no electric water pump, no lights, no thermostat controlled heat for house or water.
a) the fridge-If it is winter you can just stuff what needs to be kept cold into a Rubbermaid bin and set it out in the porch. If it is summer you might be able to use an ice box type camping cooler. Either way, your fridge food is what you will be using up first.
In addition to fridge food I would suggest having some food on hand that does not need a fridge to store. Canned and dry stuff most likely. NOTE: if you have a root cellar you have a natural fridge at 41 degrees, perfect for storing a couple of sacks of potatoes. a few bushels of carrots, apples, a barrel of wine, etc.
b) Water pump. You are on a well, it could be dug or driven. You have limited water in your plumbing and with no pump you are without water. You could maybe think about getting a manual back up pump for the type of well you have. If it is winter and you have 2 meters of snow on the ground you can fill a few buckets with it and set it near the stove to melt.
c) Heat. You say you have a woodstove so you should have heating and cooking covered right there. Outside barbecues and campfires can be useful cooking options too. If you think the house might get cold enough to freeze plumbing then drain the water supply lines and pour a little antifreeze into the p traps under the sinks, tubs and toilet.

d) lighting.
I really like Kerosene lamps. A few K oil lamps can be set in your book shelves to be admired as interesting country antiques until you need them. (put new wicks in them)
I use lamp oil though because most Kerosene is not as well refined as it should be. The best lamp oil is now sold as paint thinner.
You might save money by buying Odorless Paint Thinner/ Mineral Spirits in 5 gallon pails at a painters supply, but I just buy it as a case of the one liter jugs because I do not use that much of it. So long as it is mineral spirits it will burn in Kerosene lamps, stoves and space heaters. The stuff is also very easy to store.
Candles can be nice but the flame is not protected and they flicker, and a lamp give more light and a lot more heat.

e)The road out: A snowmobile, a tractor with a snow plow or blower to clear the drive way, a horse and sleigh?

f) communications. You might lose your telephone. If you have a cell phone it might still be working, you might be able to get somebody on a CB radio, you might have a marine band radio if you own a boat.
If you are serious hardcore you might get your HAM license and become a radio station.

If you really want some good ideas about how to live without electricity go visit some Menonnite or Amish. Lehman's is a pretty good source of stuff for off grid living.
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=1121&iMainCat=1121&iSubCat=1121

Edited by scafool (01/05/09 08:33 AM)