I actually thought through the shower scenario. Getting out of the house will be a problem due to broken glass, but once out, I'm fine. Even if the house and garage burn to the ground, all the emergency gear will be safe and available. Experience says finding shoes in the bathroom after a quake will be tough, so towels wrapped around feet may have to do.

Never occurred to me to loot. Only to have enough cash and a planned list of things to buy in the immediate aftermath. Yes, things will disappear fast, but my goal would to be one of the first in the nearest store and to get all I need. Once stores are stripped that opportunity is gone. Having thought through this scenario increases the probability of success.

I don't expect the phone to work, but experience with Katrina and Ike is that text messaging will work even when voice is overloaded, assuming the phone system is working at all.

Standing in the rain in business clothes with nothing but what is in my pockets, would suck, but based on this discussion I'll be better prepared. I'm going work at finding some kind of EDC shelter for the rainy season. Trash bag, Heat Sheet, something. I'll have a map marked with the homes and businesses of my friends. And I'll be mentally prepared to purchase the needfuls ASAP.

Somehow I just don't have the multitool gene. I have carried them, but never for long because I never really found them useful. I can't stand to be without a knife, though. I'm sure that's a separate thread.