Another suggestion for good dress-looking shoes that are extremely comfy: Blundstones. I have had a pair for over a year now, and love them. Mine are laceless (I cannot stand lace up shoes, a silly pet peeve, I know!), and look like dress shoes, but arecomfy like docs. They look quite smart, actually!
I have enough stuff in my jeep for an indefinite time away, minus food and water. Living in new england, water isnt really an issue; besides, I alsways have my water bottle with me. But, for EDC, I carry very little, barring two knives, and my keychain. However, it really isnt practical for me to carry gear with me. The worst we have to deal with is snow or ice storms, which, incidentally, my sisters family was without power for almost 2 weeks. My nephew cooked for his two younger siblings for the fist few days, on a soda can stove I helped him make. And, he had plenty of other gear to keep warm, until they got to a shelter. Needless to say, I was proud of him!! But, these types of storms are rare; and usually it is a sit & wait scenario.