Originally Posted By: Grahund

One scenario is that I stop for gas in a sketchy area. The Big One hits and the canopy over the pumps falls on my vehicle. I'm left standing in the cold and rain a long way from home with literally nothing but what is in my pockets. Or I'm in a shopping center and the parking garage collapses. I rarely take BART or other mass transit without my computer case, but it does happen, so that's another possibility.

Risk avoidance

Top off your tank before driving into any sketchy or remote areas, find stores/shopping/malls which don't have garages.
If I'm driving to a park or soemhting I always try to top off the tank before I get off the highway so I'm not trying to find gas in a remote area.

Originally Posted By: Grahund

Currently, I have the following in my pockets: folding knife, led micro light, Fox 40 whistle, cell phone, cash, wallet with credit cards, ID, etc. As we are in the rainy season, I have been experimenting with carrying a small AMK Heat Sheet. Since my footwear is likely to be suboptimal, I just realized I'm going to need blister pads. (My feet and dress footwear don't get along.)

Keep another pair of shows with you so that you only need to wear the dress shoes while actually at work. A small gym bag to carry them in and changing back into good walking shoes before leaving work won't look out of place as people will just thing your going to a gym afetrward.

Edited by Eugene (01/02/09 05:31 PM)