Originally Posted By: clearwater
And this is a good thing?

That is a VERY good thing. If you've ever gotten to know with any of the folks listed below their lives are amazingly dedicated to their professions.

I'm talking about ...

U.S. Coast Guard
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Department of Defence
Civil Air Patrol
U.S. Coast Guard Auxillary
State/County/City Law Enforcement
National Park Service

I suspect the state National Guards might also come into play. I'm sure others on this forum know much more about it than I do.

Here is a description of the National Rescue Plan under the NOAA SARSAT authority:

"By federal interagency agreement, the National Search and Rescue Plan provides for the effective use of all available facilities in all types of SAR missions. These facilities include aircraft, vessels, pararescue and ground rescue teams, and emergency radio fixing. Under the plan, the U.S. Coast Guard is responsible for the coordination of SAR in the Maritime Region, and the U.S.Air Force is responsible in the Inland Region. To carry out these responsibilities, the Coast Guard and the Air Force have established Rescue Coordination Centers (RCC's) to direct SAR activities within their regions. NOAA provides satellite alerting in support of the National SAR Plan.

In general, search and rescue, or SAR, is a lifesaving service provided through the combined efforts of the federal agencies signatory to the National SAR Plan, and the agencies responsible for SAR within each state. Operational resources are provided by the U.S. Coast Guard, DOD components, the Civil Air Patrol, the Coast Guard Auxiliary, state, county and local law enforcement and other public safety agencies, and private volunteer organizations. Services include search for missing aircraft and vessels, survival aid, rescue, and emergency medical help for the occupants after an accident site is located."

Above I put the government sponsored organizations in bold to emphasize their involvement ... not to suggest that the volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Patrol and local volunteer SAR groups are any less professional or vital to their missions.