Sincere interest is probably one of the most effective communications tools I've ever dealt with. In a crisis situation where you may have to depend on the good will of others, I've found that being able to convince potential helpers that giving you aid is somehow a good thing and a worthy effort is invaluable.

It astonished me that so many US Ex-patriates working in Iraq seemed indifferent to their Iraqi co-workers. I always felt that the ones I got to work with would prove to be a tremendous asset to me if something unexpectedly severe occurred over there. I made a constant effort to convey to them a strong sense of care and concern, and did a great deal to treat them as special and important people. I started learning their language, I gave them extra money and tons of goodies, including healthy food and medicine. I argued on their behalf with upper management to improve their pay, work conditions, and security. I put them in charge of important tasks and helped them to learn the necessary skills to be successful. All this was reflected in how they treated me in return. I was invited to join them for meals, they would bring me things of interest and information they didn't share with other Americans, and they would talk to me about their personal lives and what they believed, and we could discuss religion and politics and not offend each other.

You don't gotta stick you neck out for everyone, but it seems prudent that where your well-being is at risk you invest a little effort in be-friending those around you that might make the difference between getting out alive or not at all. BTW, I did the same with our South African security group. I was the only ex-pat in our compound that would get special items shipped in from the wife just for them as well. SA ex special-forces find Oberto Beef Jerky far superior to their bil-tong. A case a month ensured that they all pretty much knew my name and who I was. That was money well spent in my book.