Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#162466 - 01/11/09 08:25 PM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: Johno]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have seen that in action, you are hardcore for only a second or two. If you survive the sudden stop, you don't survive the bounce.

#162500 - 01/12/09 12:01 AM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: gonewiththewind]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Montanero
You must use whatever approach is required for the situation. If everyone is looking to you for guidance, then they are more easily led and do not need much persuasion. Many people will need more persuasion and guidance along the "right" path (the one you want to follow) by involving them in the decision making process and ensuring that their concerns are addressed. That doesn't mean that they will be guiding the process. If you are a good listener and communicator, you will find that people will naturally begin to follow you. You do not need to be the subject matter expert, just the one who can make everyone cooperate with each other for the benefit of the group. A person who talks too much, and doesn't say much, will not have the credibility to lead effectively.

That is close, but I still think we are talking about slightly different points.
There is a fundamental difference between leading from higher authority and leading from mutual consent. Unfortunately, as with many things that are deeply and fundamentaly different, the words describing them often sound the same.

I am not saying one is better or worse, just different.
There are times when one system is better than the other, and there are time when the other is better.

Manipulating people into following a preconcieved plan is not actually leading consensually, nor is it co-operation.

#162520 - 01/12/09 02:09 AM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: scafool]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It depends on whether or not you are trying to get them to do what you want. Leading by definition is getting people to do what they would not do themselves (usually what you want them to do). I have rarely seen any situation where people agree completely or don't have preconceptions or agendas. It is not a negative thing, it just is. You must be able to discern what their ideas and agendas are and, if possible, work out a solution which satisfies everyone as much as possible. You will never satisfy everyone 100%, and you will have to deal with the fallout of that. You could just go along with the majority, but your interests will likely not be satisfied. I have never seen a true consensual leadership style work. Someone has to coordinate, mediate and keep people informed. Someone must step up or nobody's interests will be satisfied and it will be every man for himself. Leadership does not need to be authoritarian, and planning and discussion should include all the possible information you can digest from all interested parties. you can even vote on the final decision. When it comes time to execute the decision, someone has to lead. Even the most democratic process must have a mediator to keep the discussion on topic and resolve disputes in a less than violent manner.

I have never met a person I didn't learn something from; even if it was how not to do things. There is too much knowledge out there to think one person can come up with all of the answers and be correct all of the time. Once the decision is made though, everyone must pony up or follow their own path.

#162528 - 01/12/09 02:26 AM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: Johno]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Johno
HALO is for normal folk, HANO is hardcore smile

Sorry, I have carried two SOCOM friends of mine to their graves from no opening. I find little humor in it.

RIP OBG

#162576 - 01/12/09 12:00 PM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: Desperado]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Originally Posted By: Johno
HALO is for normal folk, HANO is hardcore smile

Sorry, I have carried two SOCOM friends of mine to their graves from no opening. I find little humor in it.

I know that my gallows humor can put some people off; Desperado, I apologize if I offended. I tend towards a wry and cinical sense of humor. I have buried many close friends, carried their bodies off the drop zone or battlefield and at times had to pick up the body parts to carry back. I think psychologists call it a survival mechanism.

#162605 - 01/12/09 02:51 PM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: gonewiththewind]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
My apologies Desperado, no offence was meant. I too have removed friends and parts there of from various places around the world and buried them, it never does get easier.

Edited by Johno (01/12/09 02:52 PM)

#162609 - 01/12/09 03:46 PM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: Johno]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Well, I didn't mean to over react. I had just finished speaking with one of the guys family when that popped up. My sense of humor is also from the gallows. When I was in nobody wanted to eat around us due to the stories we told at the table. Yeah, I understand the defence mech. I use it too. Sorry

RIP OBG

#162615 - 01/12/09 04:13 PM Re: Survival Skill not discussed much [Re: OldBaldGuy]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...The recruiter lied..."

You too huh???

8) Yup...never heard of THAT happening!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 524 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.