Today, there is more details here including some info from one of the survivors.

This graphic here shows the area where the avalanches occurred and is right in the general area of the google map I posted yesterday.

The terrain around this area is fairly rugged and high. Although we did not get to Fernie this year, we were close by (about an hour by the crow flies) and this photo shows the terrain in the area. The photo was taken at just over 7,000 feet, the town of Fernie is behind the mountains just off center left background of the photo.

You are right about avalanches...they scare me too. Luckily (or unluckily) I live close enough to many mountain ranges and can get and enjoy the winter scenery often. The narrow valleys and canyons always makes us nervous and stay out of them as much as we can as the danger versus the reward level is not worth it.

Twelve years ago we seen an avalanche as it was happening and even though we never in any danger and far enough away, the rumbling sound and the breaking of trees like they twigs was unreal and no movie can do it justice. What I will never forget is after the initial avalanche, about 20 -30 seconds later it seemed, the wind concussion from the displaced air hit us then the snow and ice particles in the wind stung our faces. It was very un-nerving to say the least, at the same time very fascinating

In regards to risk taking snowmobilers, I agree pretty much the same. This article sums it up well.