Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1591 - 09/08/01 06:51 AM urban survival ramblings
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been through several earthquakes,including the Northridge trembler and several firestorms. People may or may not return to an intact home. Even if it is partially damaged, authorities may not allow reentry or only limited access for personal belongings. Any and all documents should be stored in a fireproof box. Label it for reference, but not birth certificates, insurance etc. If you suffer a burglary, small locked security boxes are often taken. Label it family photos. Local phone service will be impacted by emergency services or local damage. What If your immediate family is seperated in the city? The best plan is to have a friend or relative living in another area or even state to act as a clearing house. All family members can call with their location and situation. I was able to do this successfully in both situations by calling a relative in Wa. State. Pets and livestock are another emotional concern. Animals must be tagged with an I.D. and have a ready carrier available for evacuation. Leather collars are preferable for safety. During the Malibu fire, I held a horse in kneedeep surf while a DVM cut away a melted nylon halter from the suffering animal's face. Wild animals are present in urban areas; coyotes,raccoons, possums, squirrels,rodents. They will be fleeing also and are more unpredictable than usual. If you don't have an item, do not assume the hardware store will be accomadating. I was working at one during the Northridge Quake. Flashlights and batteries were strictly rationed to one per customer-before they ran out. Price gouging was rampant by private parties and retail outlets. The sad phenomenon of Road rage and general discourtesy are magnified 1000 fold. There will be no police probably no working signals and a 'me first' attitude. You will probably start thinking of relocating to the country.A friend who lived in the apartments that collapsed with fatalities did. His new home in Arkansas was destroyed by a Tornado a few years later. <br><br>

#1592 - 09/10/01 05:51 AM Re: urban survival ramblings
rthompson Offline

Loc: Kentucky, USA
In the early 1990's a friend of mine had family in Florida affected by a hurricane. He loaded up a truck load of lumber, water, and food supplies and took it to them. There were very limited supplies where they lived and help was slow coming. When my friend got into the affected area he feared for his life. People were throwing things at him, and he noted that what few supplies there were priced beyond belief. He finally reached his family and helped with repairs for about a wk. By the time he left Florida, general help had arrived for everyone. When he left it was a different place. No more fear just people trying to piece their lives back together. This brought out the worse in probably otherwise good people. He stated that he was never so glad to get home, but I guess the same thing could happen here in similar situation.<br> Rick<br>Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional. <br><br>

#1593 - 09/10/01 06:27 AM Re: urban survival ramblings
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
It is really important to keep your family together in the aftermath of a disaster. Evidences have been found about some vanished people after the two EQs in 1999 here in Turkey, that they have been kidnapped by international human organ mafia. I do not know how it is likely to happen over there but it is an example of how evil human mind will make benefit from your suffering. One other thing is that post trauma stress disorder turns people mad and you should be very careful moving around as an individual or even as a SAR team if you do not want to find yourself in an unnecessary trouble.<br><br>Survive and Protect

#1594 - 09/26/01 04:33 PM international human organ mafia
jet Offline
Enthusiast

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>It is really important to keep your family together in the aftermath of a disaster. Evidences have been found about some vanished people after the two EQs in 1999 here in Turkey, that they have been kidnapped by international human organ mafia. I do not know how it is likely to happen over there but it is an example of how evil human mind will make benefit from your suffering.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I have to say, yes, it certainly is important to keep your family together... because you care about them and want to keep them safe, because you are stronger together than separate, because you can (usually) trust them, and for many other tangible and intangible reasons.<br><br>But not so you can keep them from being harvested for their organs.<br><br>You can sell your organs, if you wish, and some very poor people have and still do.<br>http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/expressnews/articles/ideas.cfm?p_ID=85<br><br>But no one... not one single identified victim ever...<br>has (yet?) been kidnapped and/or killed for their organs... <br>http://home.columbus.rr.com/mhollowa/toogood.txt<br><br>...except prisoners executed by China.<br>http://www.american.edu/TED/prisonorgans.htm<br><br>Stay safe,<br>J.T.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jet on 09/26/01 12:42 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#1595 - 09/27/01 05:36 AM Re: international human organ mafia
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
Sorry jet,<br><br>But the newsweek article was written in 1995 and the earthquakes happened in 1999. The other thing is I am a Turkish rescue officer who worked in both those EQ's and I speak of knowing things about the subject. This is not gossip or murmor. This is something known but you cannot always speak of. <br><br>There is another world different then yours in North America around here :)<br><br>Best regards<br>Burak<br><br>Survive and Protect

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.