Second Dweste on the tents - a "2-person" tent is good for 2 midgets. One of my ex's and I (she's 5'1", I'm 5'8") had a snug night inside a 2-man tent before.

Having a tent sized 1 person larger helps with just general moving about (changing, setting up stuff, etc). Consider getting a tent with a awning/fly so you can keep your gear out of the elements at night. I'd suggest, however, that you keep food out of the packs while they're snug under.

Look for tents that have waterproof seams as well. This will save time from re-sealing all the bottom seams yourself. Some REI brand (and other, I think) will sell "footprints" for the tents - basically a ground sheet to keep the bottom drier. You can skip the extra and just buy a cheap tarp from Home Depot and cut it to size.

once you decide on a tent, practice putting it up a few times. An experienced user could probably figure it out quick enough, but it's never fun to have to do a trial-by-error on a cold, windy, rainy night, which always seems to happen.