The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#157517 - 12/07/08 02:41 PM Re: Shoe cache [Re: Tom_L]
Oni Offline
Stranger

Loc: North Carolina
The shoe cache isn't for those sort of situations. This is for normal urban survival because you never go anywhere without your shoes you would have something with you. This isn't an E&E kit.

#157519 - 12/07/08 03:10 PM Re: Shoe cache [Re: Oni]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Some hideout money, done that.

Paracord laces in boots, do that.

'Cuff key (on my keyring), yup, sentimental reasons. I still have a few pairs of cuffs, just in case, but don't carry them on me anymore.

Lock picks, nope, not since I retired. In CA, and probably other states, they are considered burgular tools in the hands of anyone except a licensed locksmith or LEO...

#157552 - 12/07/08 06:35 PM Re: Shoe cache [Re: ]
Oni Offline
Stranger

I don't do anything to get arrested, at all so that isn't a concern. However the ankle pouch is a good idea regardless.

#157558 - 12/07/08 07:50 PM Re: Shoe cache [Re: Oni]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: Oni
I was wondering if anyone else here does this.

I did this all the time when I was a kid. No so much any more. If it works for you, more power to you.

Your thread reminded me of some socks with pockets that I saw somewhere on the web. I thought it was kind of a neat idea. The pockets weren't that big, but you could probably carry paper money safely in them.

Also, my wife has the Amelda Marcos sort of shoe cache too.

Cheers.

Edited by GarlyDog (12/07/08 07:52 PM)

#157567 - 12/07/08 09:08 PM Re: Shoe cache [Re: Oni]
past_digger Offline

Loc: SD, USA
Try using the double layer of fabric at the top of your pants. I made a slit - essentially a large button hole - inside the waist band of several pairs of jeans and a pair of slacks when we took our honeymoon. I used the gap between the layers of fabric to hide our reserve of folded paper money, sliding the bills in kind of like the drawstring in a pair of sweat pants. I figured bad guys knew about neck/waist pouches, zippered belts, room safes, etc...

When you wear a belt or un-tucked shirt, no one can see any sort of lump or bulge in your pants, and I never felt a thing. Unless subjected to a strip search and close examination of your clothes, no one will ever know you've got a hiding place. I personally wouldn't keep a blade there, but there's as much or more room there than in one of those 'survival belts' that used to be on the market (I forget the source). The only drawback I found was it isn't rapid/easy access. You need some privacy and a few minutes to access your cash/stash. Oh yeah, and try not to lose your pants...

#157976 - 12/11/08 04:04 PM Re: Shoe cache [Re: past_digger]
Oni Offline
Stranger

That's a cool idea, I was never a fan of those belt things myself.

#158030 - 12/11/08 11:16 PM Re: Shoe cache [Re: Oni]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Nope.

I don't put anything in my shoes that don't need to be there. My feet will get me home. The only change is that I put in paracord laces that are long enough to wrap around the boot.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#158034 - 12/12/08 12:01 AM Re: Shoe cache [Re: Oni]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Oni
I don't do anything to get arrested, at all so that isn't a concern. However the ankle pouch is a good idea regardless.

You don't have to "do anything" to be stopped and searched. You just have to match the description of someone that has...

Case in point, I was almost arrested in Nashville as a murder suspect. White guy, wearing a black jacket and blue jeans, brown hair. Pretty vague, huh? My saving grace was no tatoo's on my arms.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 509 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.