Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#157346 - 12/06/08 09:21 AM blunt force fishing (shallows, rocks, stick)
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Hi.
In this clip (YouTube - Man vs. Wild - Alaska Fishing Salmon ) you can see thats-not-lemonade-Bear (:D) herd a big bunch of salmon in the shallows (6inch), then proceed to sneak-up, and eventually spear one.

I remember once as a kid catching bait in similar shallows by beating the water with a stick. It worked, but it was more fun angling (or catching them barehanded). I think Bear did this once with smaller fish in the Copper Canyon episode.

In in the above salmon situation, I think he could have caught more by beating them with the stick (or by throwing rocks), if not via the shock-wave (they're big), then through blunt force, after all its only 6 inches of water. The only time I've had an opportunity like that it was never an option to try (illegal method, out of season, water too deep/fast, not a survival situation...).

What do you think, would it work well? Anyone tried it (could you? and film it?)?

Thanks laugh

#157347 - 12/06/08 11:36 AM Re: blunt force fishing (shallows, rocks, stick) [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Emulate those who came before.

In a target rich environment take a little time to use rocks to build a fish trap / corral [opening only downstream] that includes a smaller shallower capture area [opening only downstream into the main trap / corral] surrounded by a higher rock wall. Fish can stay in the main corral "refrigerator" until harvest time [though they are subject to predators other than you].

Temporarily block the downstream opening of the trap / corral. Then you herd / spook the fish and one or more will dare the shallower capture area.

Temporarily close off the shallower capture area. Deal with the fish.

Once built you can pretty much stay out of anything but very shallower water, especially if you can fashion or find a branch to close off the trap / corral and another to "herd / sweep" fish into the capture area and then block the downstream opening.

Some of these traps have been found that apparently were used for at least hundreds of years.

In its simplest form, just create a line of rocks that angle downstream from shore and herd fish along the line of rocks to spook some into very shallow water - eventually one will ground itself - pounce!

Edited by dweste (12/06/08 11:41 AM)

#157350 - 12/06/08 12:01 PM Re: blunt force fishing (shallows, rocks, stick) [Re: dweste]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks, someone might benefit from the info, but I wasn't asking how to trap fish smile (fish trap site:www.gutenberg.org )
What I wanted to know is how well the stick/rocks would work in Bears salmon situation. Its been a while since I dealt a death blow, can't exactly test it out.

#157379 - 12/06/08 04:10 PM Re: blunt force fishing (shallows, rocks, stick) [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd like to take a stick to Bear. Considering how depleted our wild salmon are, taking undersized individuals IN ALASKAN WATERS
and in direct violation of fishing laws is onerous.
He should have the courtesy to pull his stunts in the Commonwealth, ie Canada, where canadian salmon fishermen, not known for canadian politieness would likely also beat him with bigger sticks.
Blunt force fishing is very inefficient.first, the optical disturbance gives all advanatage to the fish and second, you wind up with fish paste, a delicacy in many cultures I can pass on.

#157583 - 12/08/08 12:01 AM Re: blunt force fishing (shallows, rocks, stick) [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Thanks, someone might benefit from the info, but I wasn't asking how to trap fish smile What I wanted to know is how well the stick/rocks would work in Bears salmon situation. Its been a while since I dealt a death blow, can't exactly test it out.

Sorry to have been obtuse. Re using rocks and sticks to beat fish to death in shallow water: don't - even if it works it is a low percentage ploy.

The damage to the fish you don't kill, damage to the flesh of the fish you do kill, extended energy-draining time in the water getting cold and dirty for little return, possibility of injury to yourself as you trip through the stream or river, large amount of disturbance of the environment in terms of stream bottom, ambient noise, etc. all make this a low-on-the-list survival choice.

Instead, do what gives you a high percentage chance of repeated success with a both migrating and non-migrating fish for a relatively limited resource investment. [Rock traps are just one solution - as none of the gutenberg stuff looks to be to me. You of course have, for example, one larger, mini-gaff size hook in your survival fishing kit that can be lashed to the end of a branch and used to snag fish for a one-time solution in the unlikely school-of-big-fish-in-shallows situation.]

When you have a fish "in hand" dispatch it with a smack to the head - your choice of a stick or a rock.

Edited by dweste (12/08/08 12:07 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.