Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#156489 - 11/27/08 04:53 PM Help from the Pros
KMAC179 Offline
Stranger

Hello all,

I have been wondering around the site for a little while now, looking for ideas and tips on, obviously, survival. I have now gotten to the point where I would like to move tothe next step and design my BOB. I am a firefighter/Paramedic so I do have a unique perspective on exactly what will happen in the event of a large-scale incident in my area, as I am one of the people who plans for them, and runs the show when they do in fact happen. My bob will be in my car at all times, as my car is everywhere I am. Unless I am somewhere out of the ordinary, my theater will be an urban setting. For reference purposes, I will be using this bag. I use the smaller version every day at work and I love it. Whatever I decide to put in it, it will be medical-heavy (just because I know what can happen). I am planning on making it able to sustain me/a second person for 72 hours. I am torn on 1 subject, however. I dont know if I should design it to supplement my primary bag/EDC, or design it in the event that I have that bag and that bag alone. So ladies and gentlemen, throw your best ideas forward. With the amount of stuff I already own, and what I have available to me, my options are almost limitless as to what I can throw in there. Thank you everyone in advance, KM

Edited by KMAC179 (11/27/08 05:06 PM)

#156490 - 11/27/08 05:47 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: KMAC179]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
This oughta be fun...;^)

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#156491 - 11/27/08 05:52 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: KMAC179]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy, and Happy Turkey Day...

#156494 - 11/27/08 06:31 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: OldBaldGuy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

welcome new guy.... i encourouge you to use the search button. For some clarification, and the ability to answer on of your last questions, what is your Primary edc? I hope that you conrtribute much, especially having the expirience that you do.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#156497 - 11/27/08 07:46 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: climberslacker]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Should have mentioned in my earlier post that I've been kinda torn myself about a similiar issue. I carry around a godawful amount of first aid/emergency medical equipment as part of my job requirements (EMT on film sets), I also keep a "personal" equipment pack in the car as well as the usual tools, spare water, etc. What I'm trying to balance is the need for an additional kit of "survival" stuff vs what I'm already carrying around.

So I'm real curious as to how this thread goes as well.

Oh, yeah, welcome to the group newguy, from a pretty new guy.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#156498 - 11/27/08 09:34 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: JohnE]
KMAC179 Offline
Stranger

well my EDC really depends on what im doing that day. When Im not working, I carry the blackberry, SOG flash 2 knife, leatherman, flashdrive w/important stuff, small LED light on keychain, and a handcuff key. soon i will be adding a few items that are wrapped in paracord. If im working, which, I usually am, add a pair of EMS shears, flashlight, notepad, and a few other small items depending on the day. My EDC is very basic, as, again, I have so much stuff that I cant decide what I want to carry, or how I want to carry it. when Im not working I like to keep my stuff to a minimum.

Edited by KMAC179 (11/27/08 09:36 PM)

#156598 - 11/29/08 01:00 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: KMAC179]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Some insights from your field:
http://www.equipped.org/groundzero.htm

#156619 - 11/29/08 04:37 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: akabu]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I have a primary pack that has 72 hours worth of self sustaining equipment / supplies. I also have an EDC which is a MUCH smaller scale of my primary pack (for example instead of a 2 man tent I have black sheet plastic compressed in a vaccumm sealed bag that I could deploy for shelter) and minimal food and water capabilities. I then have specialty packs. I know this sounds obsessive but we all have out quirks... Anyhow, I have a pack that is specifically for medical - basic supplies for injuries up to fractures and burns. I have a construction type of rescue - pry bars, gloves, eye protection, axe, a bag of nails and glue, extra stuff from the garage.

I do this as a hobby, so take this with a grain of salt. Will I ever need all this - hopefully not. I have always accumulated "stuff". Now instead of my wife insisting that I sell or trash this stuff - I organize it and but it into a bag and call it emergency bags. So far the wife has not caught on or has just given in to it, not sure which. Anyway the point I am getting to is start with a bag then either adjust it, add to it, take away from it, or create another bag... It is an ever fluctuating process.

Good luck and I hope that you were able to get something useful from this.

#156637 - 11/29/08 08:53 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: akabu]
KMAC179 Offline
Stranger

That brought flashbacks to the front...I was there that night. (I live in NJ) with our USAR team. I agree with most of what he had to say. My 72 hour pack, unfortunately, is going to be food/water heavy, as I have hypoglycemia, and under most normal circumstances, I have to eat several small meals a day because my body doesnt produces too much insulin and doesnt process sugar right...in any case, that is a big priority of mine, and medical like i already said. aside from that, clothing is also a big one, lots of socks...and so on. tonight I may begin a basic list and post it on here of my gear, in no particular order or anything.

#156643 - 11/29/08 10:58 PM Re: Help from the Pros [Re: KMAC179]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: KMAC179
That brought flashbacks to the front...I was there that night. (I live in NJ) with our USAR team. I agree with most of what he had to say. My 72 hour pack, unfortunately, is going to be food/water heavy, as I have hypoglycemia, and under most normal circumstances, I have to eat several small meals a day because my body doesnt produces too much insulin and doesnt process sugar right...in any case, that is a big priority of mine, and medical like i already said. aside from that, clothing is also a big one, lots of socks...and so on. tonight I may begin a basic list and post it on here of my gear, in no particular order or anything.

I understand hypoglycemia completely. Discovered it after I was in Army. Never knew what the problem was. Try upping your protein. Helps me.

Also cary the glucose paste / tablets as a back-up.

RIP OBG

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 574 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.