The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#156336 - 11/25/08 03:51 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: learnmore]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: learnmore
Doesn't look very pocket friendly to me!

That is why I wear mine tied to the top of my ball cap...

#156348 - 11/25/08 05:38 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Came across this gimmick that reflects sunlight to start fire. The first thing that came to my mind was, if you have sunlight why don't you just use a magnifier?

http://store.sundancesolar.com/sospliposiso.html

1) this ia an old idea. They make hot dog cooks that use an elongated concave piece of polished metal.
2) Also cigarette have seen these as lighter.
3) it is what probable inspired the chocolate used to polish the bottome of a soda can.

Finally have you ever really tried to start a fire with a maganifing glass using natural material. You may get smoke but that is a long way from a flame.

cheers

#156373 - 11/26/08 01:05 AM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

There's a guy here in Humboldt who uses a big one of those to cook pots of food during the day. It works great.

#156436 - 11/26/08 08:51 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: ]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

It is still sporting fun to make fires in many different ways.

#156457 - 11/27/08 03:05 AM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: RobertRogers]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm still waiting to see how that guy could start a fire using reflected moonlight. He SAID he could show you how to do it, if only you bought his survival info.

Sue

#156480 - 11/27/08 03:54 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Susan]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Susan..you reflect the moonlight into your BOB so you can find the lighter and fire gel----

#156526 - 11/28/08 01:58 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
my first success with the fresnel lens was camping this summer - and it was very easy when I found the secret.

punky wood. I scraped some out of the south side of a standing rotting snag. got a couple handfulls. Rubbed the material in the hands to break it up. flash the lens and a small "coal" is all you need. the beauty of this material is that when you blow on the coal, it expands rather than extinguishes. Just mix in a few small twigs or birch strips and blow blow blow. soon smoke (lots) then flame. It was so simple and the key was the punky wood!

regarding the product in the post. if you are in an area like me (NH) where the sun is not so strong in the winter, you need to keep the light focused for some time to get substantial heat. this product would be much easier to "rig" in a fixed position to leave and tend to other tasks while the sun remains focused.

#156535 - 11/28/08 04:31 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: kevingg]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: kevingg

regarding the product in the post. if you are in an area like me (NH) where the sun is not so strong in the winter, you need to keep the light focused for some time to get substantial heat. this product would be much easier to "rig" in a fixed position to leave and tend to other tasks while the sun remains focused.

But the sun would be moving...

#156595 - 11/29/08 12:17 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Although the same experiment was repeated by a Greek solar engineer, loannis Sakkas, along with the Greek Navy who were able to achieve what the Myth Busters team and MIT engineering students failed to acheive.
Thanks for that link. So 70 sailors, each with a 5x3ft flat copper mirror. The target was not moving, which was an advantage Archimedes would have lacked.

As I recall, Mythbusters had fewer than 20 staff, and their mirrors were smaller.

Quote:
Apperently they had trouble focusing the solar radiation using their copper mirrors to begin with.
That was the problem Mythbusters had. Specifically, to aim you need feedback, which gets hard when there are lots of spots of light and you don't know which is yours. Which is interesting, but it never seemed like an insurmountable problem to me.

#156596 - 11/29/08 12:50 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Nishnabotna]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
true, but you could adjust the focal point every few minutes or so easier than the lens. don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to see the plus side of the thing.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.