Would the locks be working after an EMP event?? I don't think so!

Would Uncle Sam leave the lock areas unguarded so that small boaters could portage their boats and gear around the locks? I don't think so!

Is waterway travel a viable option? Yes, until you reach the first lock on that waterway!

Is my small boat large enough to hold the crew, water, food, and BoB's to float safely down a river? No!

Is my small boat small enough to portage a significant distance to get around a lock's secured area? Probably not (considering the terrain around most locks)!

Is the crew numerous enough, well armed sufficiently to guard supplies, portage the boat, then the supplies, while securing both ends of the portage route? No!

Viable option: Depends on your level of desperation, short term threats, odds of success - if you have knowledge of actual and potential threats, crew cohesion (usually a couple of levels above a Chinese Fire Drill), how distant is it to the first "parting of ways" as some crew depart to go to those areas east or west of the Mississippi River.

I think I'll take my chances overland where I am certainly going to be able to develope more options.