Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156190 - 11/24/08 06:27 AM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
I've seen this before as a kid. Never thought it would resurface. May be I can cook a small bite-size meatball or Torrentino pizza bite.

#156192 - 11/24/08 07:23 AM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Scale up the same principle and you have got the Archimedes death ray burning the Roman Fleet at Syracuse around 214 B.C.

MythBusters, along with MIT engineering students, did an episode about the Archimedes death ray and, according to this site, they classified it as busted. smile

#156197 - 11/24/08 12:03 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Those who don't like magnifiers should try one of these: http://www.bestglide.com/fresnel_lens_firestarter.html

I keep one in my wallet and one in my BOB. It's incredibly easy to use, and as long as you have sunlight you don't have to waste fuel from your lighter or wear and tear on your firesteel.

#156206 - 11/24/08 02:17 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
There is an excellent website on many fire starting methods including 3 sections on reflectors found here at Wildwood Survival .

Check out using a chocolate/pop can reflector, a flashlight head and a kitchen ladle.

I like the large inventive magnifying section also.

Mike

#156210 - 11/24/08 02:34 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Nicodemus]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Grouch
MythBusters
I wouldn't trust them for anything important. They only showed that they couldn't do it, not that it couldn't be done. They had a few days, a small budget and a dozen or so helpers. Archimedes would have had a military budget, years to refine the idea, and countless helpers. For me the main interest in the episode was illustrating some of the problems to be overcome.

Anyway, it's kind of irrelevant here. The accounts of Archimedes shows that the principle of making fire by focusing light were well known back then.

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
It might feel less gimmicky if it were smaller.
It would be less effective, though. The trick with solar fire is to collect large amounts of light. Magnifying glasses have the same problem - I've never seen a wallet-sized one work in the UK.

Glass lenses are hard to make big, and also get heavy, but you can get flat plastic Fresnel lenses. You can get big ones which would probably be more packable than this reflector.

#156214 - 11/24/08 02:55 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Brangdon]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Brangdon,

I have had good luck here in Ontario, Canada using credit-card size plastic fresnel lenses to start a fire. I have even used a small (about 2 cm dia.) 4 x plastic lens to develop an ember on tinder fungus.

It does work best on a bright day in the summer, even a little cloud cover stops the process. As always the day you need a fire the least (hot, sunny day) is when it is easiest to make.

Mike

#156224 - 11/24/08 03:56 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Grouch]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
MythBusters, along with MIT engineering students, did an episode about the Archimedes death ray and, according to this site, they classified it as busted.

To acheive the same effect today is actually a lot more difficult than it was over 2000 years ago due to effects of 'Global Dimming'. Although the same experiment was repeated by a Greek solar engineer, loannis Sakkas, along with the Greek Navy who were able to achieve what the Myth Busters team and MIT engineering students failed to acheive. Apperently they had trouble focusing the solar radiation using their copper mirrors to begin with. Perhaps Archimedes may have even design a star cut out to help with aiming. whistle

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,908175,00.html

Here is a modern scaled up version of this solar device burning through a steel plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tt7RG3UR4c&feature=related

#156225 - 11/24/08 04:09 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Something to remember if you have to shelter in place.

#156235 - 11/24/08 05:09 PM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Nicodemus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i did not take the time to read all the posts but it looks like someone found a pile of the 1950's solar cigarette lighters and re-branded them as survival gear to fit the latest craze.
the space to carry it would be better filled with lighters and matches..it's a "fun"item..

#156308 - 11/25/08 03:08 AM Re: Just how pointless is this? [Re: Onedzguy]
learnmore Offline

Loc: Western Michigan
Doesn't look very pocket friendly to me!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 509 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.