The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#156073 - 11/23/08 01:55 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: KenK]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

www.bethelak.com

For dry powder snow a traditional pair of mucluks are superb. Stegners in Minnesota make outstanding ones.You can roll them up, they have no left or right and are supremely comfortable. buy them a few sizes to big and fill with a felt liner and quality wool socks and liners.

For Cultural survival, be aware that Alaska, though not unique, sees alcoholism as it's #1 social malady.Some of those outlying villages may be very traditional with no alchohol rules and others a page out of the gold rush.
Russian orthodoxy is the mother church of Alaska. if, in the course of treatment you need to remove a cross; ASK the patient to do it, and if unconscious keep it nearby.If there is a local church say hello to the archimandrite (head priest) and attend a service if possible. It will be, by ROA rules in the local language. In Alaska this can be english, russian or native alaskan. A well worth cultural experience and it opens lots of doors.

#156097 - 11/23/08 04:07 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Thanks for the advice everyone, esp. Chris w/ regards to cultural sensitivity. As this trip nears, I plan on asking about specific requirements. My survival kit, I'm thinking, I'll probably put in a County Comm EOD bag. In addition to a small amount of stuff in a pocket.

I'm also honored that DR has replied to this thread! I think it might be the first topic I've written where our mythical idol has graced me with his input.

A headlamp is a great idea; I have one, and I'll be sure to pack it. Probably still bring a handheld, to backstop it.

A camera is definetely on the list, as is my 4GB card. If I have access online in town, I'm thinking of doing a daily journal for family to check. If I can do that, I'll post the link on ETS before I run off.

Jeff, I appreciate the offer to borrow your bivy. I'll keep my eyes peeled around here, and if need be, will contact you later regarding it. Your memory serves, in that yes, I'm military - but not active duty just yet. So all the contacts I have are either on a ship, or still in school. As for if you can come, well, I DO have the option of bringing a "significant other." But let's not go there! If you're interested more, PM me and I can tell you more about the program. Good call also on shipping stuff to myself.

Smash, sounds like the AC gloves are liners with rubber nubbins. I have a few liners already, but will look into the kind with the rubber, as mine are either wool (the US surplus military style) or cotton. Thanks to the others who have linked various styles - I'll be checking them out soon. Especially John, for reminding me that I may need something if I'm treating patients out of a building!

In a few days I'll put together a prototype PSK and post some pics on here for feedback. Probably have to raid my camping gear for it, but hey, better to get things together now and realize what I'm missing.

#156124 - 11/23/08 02:58 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I bow to the master...

#156127 - 11/23/08 03:23 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

'Mythical Master?' Chia pets of a smiling Doug will be available through aeromedix shortly.

#156133 - 11/23/08 03:43 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Chia pets of a smiling Doug will be available through aeromedix shortly..."

And just in time for Christmas! I can see the TV ad now...
"Not Sold in Stores!"...

#156138 - 11/23/08 03:59 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
For a belt knife think very carefully about a Fallkniven F1. Developed for the Swedish Air Force. Those chaps know a thing or two about cold weather survival.

Ferrocenium rod.

Zippo lighter. You will have to keep it topped up, but it has certain advantages in a cold weather enviroment. Like it won't freeze up on you and is easy to use with gloves on.

I have used lithium batteries in my Petzle head torch. With no adverse effects. Only thing to remember is that lithium batteries give very little warning before they quite. Buy a head torch that allows you to put the battery pack inside your clothing.

#156139 - 11/23/08 03:59 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Springtime in Alaska- anyone mention DEET? I walked outside once after the filipino barber gave me a pre dress inspection haircut with some fancy, sweet smelling hair tonic rubbed in. By the time I reached my barracks my red hair was black. My comb removed hundreds of no see ums.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/23/08 04:00 PM)

#156143 - 11/23/08 04:50 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I've never been to Alaska, but here are thoughts from my lower 48 winter camping experience....

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USAK0028?from=search

Average High: 33 F
Average Low: 18 F

I'd probably want a 0-10 F bag, even assuming I'm wearing much of my clothing. Plus, there's the psychological effect of Alaska just sounding cold! smile

Are your snow boots waterproof up to the ankle? There's bound to be some slushy snow and standing water and mud. Maybe a pair of rubber overboots would be a good idea--lightweight, and you can use your existing boots or shoes.

Water-repellant gaiters sound like a good idea to keep snow out.

I'd want thin polypropylene glove liners to wick away moisture, but that might reduce fine dexterity some compared to the contact gloves. A pair with the thumb and forefinger tips cut off might be helpful.

Edited by ohiohiker (11/23/08 04:51 PM)

#156145 - 11/23/08 05:02 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: ohiohiker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I flew into Kodiak on Wein Airlines. I'll never forget this girl walking down the aisle in a parka, muckluks and @ 3' of nylon legs in between and a miniskirt underneath.
Right behind her came the stewardess carrying a SAKO .375 for the onboard gun locker.
Things have changed a little, but you can still spot a 'cheechako' by the equipment list longer than Farley Mowat's in NEVER CRY WOLF.

#156147 - 11/23/08 05:11 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Springtime in Alaska- anyone mention DEET? I walked outside once after the filipino barber gave me a pre dress inspection haircut with some fancy, sweet smelling hair tonic rubbed in. By the time I reached my barracks my red hair was black. My comb removed hundreds of no see ums.

Ahhh, the simple things. Amazing how we forget the simple things that come back to "bite" us.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.