The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#156207 - 11/24/08 02:24 PM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: Grouch]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I often have 500ml bottles of water freeze in my truck but have noticed a problem. After the water thaws there is a very small amount of white, cloudy sediment in the bottom of the bottle, I do not know if this is something seperating out from the water or if it is from the plastic bottle. Does anyone have an idea of what this stuff is?

Mike

#156306 - 11/25/08 03:03 AM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: SwampDonkey]
learnmore Offline

Loc: Western Michigan
I'm with SBRaider. It is a pain, but I take it out of the car every night and put it back in in the morning. That is the only method that works for me up in Northern New England.

#156309 - 11/25/08 03:17 AM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: SwampDonkey]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
probably just the dissolved minerals going out of solution as the temp declines. warm it back up and they should disappear.

#156318 - 11/25/08 05:45 AM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I often have 500ml bottles of water freeze in my truck but have noticed a problem. After the water thaws there is a very small amount of white, cloudy sediment in the bottom of the bottle, I do not know if this is something seperating out from the water or if it is from the plastic bottle. Does anyone have an idea of what this stuff is?

Mike
I too have noticed that white sediment when I've frozen bottled water in the clear plastic PETE bottles, particularly if I've frozen, thawed, re-frozen, and re-thawed. I doesn't go away when re-heated in my experience. I haven't seen that white sediment when I use one of my Nalgene bottles. I've had good luck with freezing water in my Nalgene bottles when I fill them maybe 3/4 full and then placing them on their side in the freezer.

#156319 - 11/25/08 06:24 AM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: Hikin_Jim]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

Partially filled metal containers work well for long term emergency storage where it could stay frozen for months on end. Metal containers make it easier to melt a big block of ice rather than trying to chip it out of a plastic bottle.

For shorter term storage you can try wrapping your water bottle with some kind of insulation and store it upside down so that the ice forms in the bottom first and does not block the drinking spout. Also add a bit of gator aid or other mix which will lower the freezing point of the water.

#156321 - 11/25/08 10:55 AM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: Hikin_Jim]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Jim,

I am glad to hear that someone else has noticed this sediment also. I still do not know what it is?

Mike

#156411 - 11/26/08 03:31 PM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: ScouterMan]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains

This thread reminds me of being back in college and visiting friends at the University of Maine. We stored our excess party beverages outside, and at one point someone uttered the phrase:

"We all need to drink faster, because the beer is starting to explode."

#156435 - 11/26/08 08:49 PM Re: cold weather water storage [Re: jaywalke]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

It is an age old problem to be sure. Like some of you have mentioned, the 2-liter plastic soda bottles usually do not crack when the water inside freezes, at least in my experience.

What I would really like is non-freezable water that is drinkable! It can take alot of fuel and time to melt ice.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 510 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.