The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#156038 - 11/22/08 07:30 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I believe its required by law in AK that private (bush) pilots carry survival gear which includes a firearm, If you look at the Best Glide Aviation website they list the essential pilot gear.

If you're flying in helos and for the state you may also be asked to take helo water evacuation training. They put you in a pretend helo seat and dunk you upside down in a pool.

Don't forget that in March you'll not have a lot of daylight.

Enjoy your stay, it's a beautiful place.

#156046 - 11/22/08 08:58 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I like this style of really thin, kinda stretchy synthetic gloves to be used as under-gloves / glove liners.

The downside is they don't have the non-slip stuff on them, the upside is they don't have the non-slip stuff on them, plus they are not cotton and thus dry quickly.

Sometimes the non-slip stuff can get in the way. Hard to put on an outer glove on over them. On the other hand, they can be slippery w/o the non-slip stuff.

These are cheap and take up almost no space so I tend to keep a pair in my coat pocket in the winter time.

Also note that these thin gloves work well under a slightly loose Nitrile exam glove. I find this is very nice to combat working in wet, cold situations. The Nitrile is totally waterproof, and the thin gloves give a bit of warmth and you still retain high dexterity.

The thin gloves are also nice just being out when it is cold out to take the edge off.

I do like the Nitrile coated knit gloves too. My favorite is Nitrile coated Kevlar.

They are light, grippy, comfortable, they breath and are cut and fire resistant.

I always carry some in my bag.

-john

#156051 - 11/22/08 11:08 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: Andy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
It is, I believe, a 1949 state law that required all aircraft that carry less than 15 people to have survival gear, including a firearm and ammo. But small aircraft can only carry so much weight, so I suspect that the required survival gear would be minimal.

Re the temps, I just checked Weather Underground for Bethel last April 22nd. High temp 41, low 35, zero precip. A twenty degree bag should work just fine there. Link ...

#156058 - 11/22/08 11:50 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Headlamp, rather than just a flashlight. And find out if you will have a normal pilot- if you will, get in touch with them, and the site contacts. Ask them what you should bring, if you haven't already. Local guides are always worth checking with. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#156060 - 11/23/08 12:13 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: ironraven]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Sounds like a terrific adventure MDinana,

I agree with Ironraven on the headlamp, I use mine more often now than my hand-held light.

It is important to carry some survival gear on your person when flying as you may have to escape from a rapidly sinking or burning aircraft. On the main "Doug Ritter ETS" site there is lots of information on what to carry on-your-person and in your pack on a light aircraft. Very good information.

I often fly in contract or government-owned light aircraft and always carry a mini-PSK kit with me even though I know there is a good kit on the plane.

There are minimum kits required by law when flying remotely in Alaska, Doug Ritter listed it here .

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures when you get back!

Mike

Edited by Doug_Ritter (11/23/08 01:06 AM)
Edit Reason: link fixed

#156061 - 11/23/08 12:32 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: SwampDonkey]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
+1 on the headlamp. They are so much more convenient than a hand-held light.

Research whether the one you are buying can use lithium batteries. As I recall the Petzls say they can't, but the Princeton Tec can.

#156065 - 11/23/08 12:54 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: KenK]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Ken is correct, my Petzi cannot use lithium batteries.

Mike

#156066 - 11/23/08 01:08 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
It is, I believe, a 1949 state law that required all aircraft that carry less than 15 people to have survival gear, including a firearm and ammo.

No longer required, though I'd say the majority of bush pilots still do. See: http://www.equipped.org/ak_cnda.htm
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#156067 - 11/23/08 01:14 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
There are minimum kits required by law when flying remotely in Alaska, Doug Ritter listed it here .

Worth noting is that, 1. not everyone follows the law and 2. the quality of the survival gear carried can vary widely. 3. The list isn't all inclusive, by any means.

Remember, if it's not with you, it can't save you(tm). carry essential survival gear on your person.

Having said that, note that govt., medical and similar mission aircraft in Alaska often have both good, professionally cared for survival gear and training requirements. But, it varies widely and it isn't a substitute for being personally prepared.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#156070 - 11/23/08 01:21 AM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: KenK]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Take a look at these gloves . Found out about them on this forum and they work great.
Allows one to maintain dexterity, highly cut resistant (I just really tested them by mistake, and no blood) and inexpensive. I got mine at Northern Tool and Equipment.

As to helpers, I could be lured away. No experience (legally) in medicine except combat lifesaver course 15 years ago. (you really don't want me to handle the IV's) However, I carry stuff real well, and I promise to not just be self loading luggage.

And if something needs shot, I know I can do that.

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.