Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#156012 - 11/22/08 05:26 PM New Toy Time!
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
So, in a burst of fun/good news, I just found that I'll be spending the month of April in Alaska! Yup, working in a medical clinic, flying to one of the 56 villages served by the clinic. While in town, I do have a place to stay, but I've been told to bring a sleeping bag for flights out of town. There's also the potential for medivac flights.

So, I'm using this as an excuse to make a shopping list on stuff to bring... or maybe buy smile

I'll probably bring 2 knives - I'm thinking a 5" kabar and my Benchmade Mini Grip. I wonder, though, if a full size DR Grip would be a worthwile purchase instead of the Mini Grip?

I have a 20 degree down sleeping bag. Anyone know of a good, preferably fairly inexpensive, bivy that can be used? I have a surplus military one, but it's no longer waterproof... rendering it of little use.

Flashlights. I'm thinking of bringing some AA based lights. Probably will bring a couple, so I'm covered there. I'll bring lithium batteries most likely.

The temp is supposed to be in the 20s during that time. Given that my snow boots are only about 6" high, would gaiters be a good idea? Any recommended brands?

Anything else I'm missing? I'll probably have a small PSK on me, in addition to my EDC pocket knife (the Grip, or DR Grip) and flashlight, at all times. Not sure if I'm allowed "stuff" on the flights, but probably will build something fanny-pack sized to keep nearby if I am. Of course it'll be for review in a few months.

Thanks!

#156016 - 11/22/08 05:35 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
If by 'buy' you mean in alaska. Don't. Prices are higher there.
The Sock

#156018 - 11/22/08 05:43 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Just remember "Travel light, freeze at night". I don't think TSA will be checking the bush planes. I would make darn sure you are prep'd with everything you can get away with. It is a LLOOONNNGGG way to anywhere if you must make an unplanned landing.

Above my normal carry would be SAT phone and PLB with GPS if finances allow.

RIP OBG

#156019 - 11/22/08 05:43 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I wonder, though, if a full size DR Grip would be a worthwile purchase instead of the Mini Grip?

I have a DR Mini Grip and an full sized DR Grip.

For a long time I carried the Mini Grip.

On a whim, I carried the full sized Grip for a while.

Once I got used to it, I couldn't go back. I never carry my Mini Grip (or small Sebbie for that matter). They are relegated to back-up status.

I say... full sized.

-john

#156025 - 11/22/08 06:07 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: JohnN]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

FWIW, I was born in SE Alaska, although lived in central AK for a bit and in Kodiak for a little bit.

In Alaska, survival is pretty much about hypothermia and getting found.

1) Clothes are very important. You want to stay warm and dry. You want to consider not only how to stay warm normally, but how to get warm if you get wet.

1b) In some areas like the southeast (where I'm from) it rains A LOT. Staying dry is difficult, esp. in the bush. This makes #1 even more important. (witness my diatribe about waterproofing)

2) Related to number 1 is the ability to make fire. I'm not sure where you are going, but in some areas fuel is non-existent, and some areas plentiful, but potentially wet.

3) Alaska is BIG. If you go down in a plane, or are in a boat that capsizes, being found is a BIG problem. This land is the poster child for the PLB. Get one.

Of course, GPS is a good idea too. Cell phone is useless in the bush. If you really want communication, you need sat phone. If you are near the coast, boats use VHF heavily, so that is potentially an option, although medium range with line of sight. The upside is with mountains, typically you can get high enough to see water if near the coast.

In regard to planes, it depends. Commercial flights are the same as anywhere else in the US, and you'll have to check most things as luggage.

Bush planes on the other hand typically let you carry whatever you want. Consider most people getting into a bush plane are probably wearing a revolver and have a long arm in their pile of gear.

No idea about medivac flights. You'll have to check with the company.

-john

Edited by JohnN (11/22/08 06:36 PM)

#156029 - 11/22/08 06:19 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

The temp is supposed to be in the 20s during that time. Given that my snow boots are only about 6" high, would gaiters be a good idea? Any recommended brands?

Sounds like you are going to be farther north than I'm used to, so can't say if gators are a good idea for the area or not.

In the SE, gators help keep your feet dry and are thus a good idea when out in the bush.

That said, if you take a boat or plane to a village, you basically are not going to be 'backpacking', and so gators are just going to get in the way.

I guess, in general, I'd say even in the northern part, you are likely going to fly in, and then either go do your job, probably in a clinic. Around town, my guess is they'll have paths even if the snow is high, so my guess is most of the time you won't need gators.

OTOH, might not be bad to have in your pack in case something goes wrong, or if you just are doing some R&R hiking.

I like the Outdoor Research gaiters. The ones I have from them are heavy duty Cordura to shrug off pretty much anything.

Their hats are great too.

-john

#156031 - 11/22/08 06:26 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Smash
Your sleeping bag need not be waterproof. If you want to save from buying a whole new bag then consider using a goretex bivy sac over the sleeping bag. That's what I use. Keeps the sleeping bag dry and still breathes to allow moisture out.

The only exception I might point out is the southeast area where water is really a big concern. In those cases, 1) you really want to try to keep your bag dry, and 2) avoid down! You want something that you have a chance to dry out without a dryer and doesn't totally lose all its value if wet.

Oh, and if you plan on camping, you need a pad to keep you off the ground.

-john

Edited by JohnN (11/22/08 06:27 PM)

#156032 - 11/22/08 06:42 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: JohnN]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Guess I should specify some things more! I'll be in the town of Bethel. http://www.mapsofworld.com/location-maps/newimages/usa-bethel-ak.jpg

Apparently on the SW side of the state. I hear the closest road is several hundred miles away. And, no, I plan on flying everything in with me, not purchasing in AK. So, yeah, TSA needs to be remembered.

I figure I'll be in town mostly, with a few flights. Since I'm not the pilot, I figure having survival stuff for myself, figuring that he'll have his own gear. A PLB is a good idea - I wonder if the bush planes/medivacs will have a locator beacon? I'll look into a sat phone too.

Smash, where would I get "anti contact" gloves? Sounds like a good idea. As would a multi-tool, which I didn't think of (since I never use one normally, or camping).

JohnN - I hear what you're saying about down, hence the concern about a bivy. When I head back to my parents this Xmas, I'll see if my camping gear from 20 years ago is still any good. I might still have access to a synthetic bag.

Thanks so far folks!

#156034 - 11/22/08 07:08 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
So, yeah, TSA needs to be remembered.

I figure I'll be in town mostly, with a few flights. Since I'm not the pilot, I figure having survival stuff for myself, figuring that he'll have his own gear. A PLB is a good idea - I wonder if the bush planes/medivacs will have a locator beacon? I'll look into a sat phone too.

Do you really want to rely on someone else for your safety?
You can send firearms as checked luggage, but there are requirements.

I really am staying away from obvious, because that can become specific to each area of AK and relies on area experience.

Second time thru for my suggestions: GPS, PLB, SAT PHONE, (last two can be rented I think).

CAMERA!!! nothing to do with survival, but you want to remember this chance of a lifetime right?

Edited by Desperado (11/22/08 07:09 PM)

RIP OBG

#156035 - 11/22/08 07:19 PM Re: New Toy Time! [Re: MDinana]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
For sharps and other iffy stuff, buy online. Deliver to your destination. Mail home Parcel Post. More expensive, but no TSA hassle.

Carrying on Medivac flights should be no problem, if you are acting in your medical capacity. Carry your credentials and orders, employment contract, or whatever. The local carriers, if really small and local bush pilots, should be cool with your kit. But keep all the iffy stuff bundled together in case they need to load it separately in the cockpit or something. Fuels and other flamey stuff is likely to more of a problem than pointy stuff.

IIRC, you are military-associated. Can you beg or borrow the "military sleep system" from any of your connections? It has an inner and outer bag, as well as a Gore-Tex bivy. It will keep you plenty warm and dry.

You are welcome to borrow my Gore-Tex bivy for the month, if you need it, for shipping costs.

I've been extremely pleased with my Fenix AA flashlights. Bring all the batteries you can.

Don't forget to bring some small thank you gifts.

Do you want a medic with 30 years experience, including austere medicine, to tag along?

Jeff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.