The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#155790 - 11/20/08 06:19 PM Re: My BOB List - Comments? [Re: TeacherRO]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I would add some Mountain House freeze dried meals. You can also make your own freeze dried meals that you make in ziplock baggies. I like MREs as well, but they can be bulky.

I would use the Katadyn Micopur tablets for water treatment tho. I believe they are better than your solutions. The Polar Pure is a good choice for typical water treatment, the Micropur for more questionable water.

I'm assuming your Gatorade is in powder form?

#155791 - 11/20/08 06:30 PM Re: My BOB List - Comments? [Re: NightHiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I'd sure like to see weights on that stuff. Looks like a lot
more than 20 lbs to me.

Is it real warm there? Seems like some sort of superlight
sleeping bag or half bag would be more likey to to be used than some of the redundant stuff for summer too.

Second thought a backpacking quilt maybe better for escape
if you might be bothered when asleep. Easier to keep a weapon
nearby and covered.

Edited by clearwater (11/20/08 06:36 PM)

#155793 - 11/20/08 08:04 PM Re: My BOB List - Comments? [Re: clearwater]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: clearwater
I'd sure like to see weights on that stuff. Looks like a lot
more than 20 lbs to me.

Is it real warm there? Seems like some sort of superlight
sleeping bag or half bag would be more likey to to be used than some of the redundant stuff for summer too.

Second thought a backpacking quilt maybe better for escape
if you might be bothered when asleep. Easier to keep a weapon
nearby and covered.

Yep. Total weight is much higher than 20 lbs. The 20 lb. goal anticipates leaving some stuff, particularly the rescue/hazmat gear, behind if not needed for travel, and does not include the cold weather supplemental bag of about 6 lbs, the clothes I'll be wearing, or the water, which would be up to another 12 lbs in hot weather.

Florida is hot most of the year, but my Northwestern part can get down to freezing on Winter nights.

I'm not worried about getting bushwhacked at night, although I will keep the pistol handy. From experience, I feel confident I can keep warm enough with what I'll have with me.

Thanks for the observations.

Jeff

#155798 - 11/20/08 08:47 PM Re: My BOB List - Comments? [Re: Mike_H]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
I would add some Mountain House freeze dried meals. You can also make your own freeze dried meals that you make in ziplock baggies. I like MREs as well, but they can be bulky.

I would use the Katadyn Micopur tablets for water treatment tho. I believe they are better than your solutions. The Polar Pure is a good choice for typical water treatment, the Micropur for more questionable water.

I'm assuming your Gatorade is in powder form?

Freeze dried meals are great items for this type of thing, but I have free access to MRE's and I don't have to rotate out the lifeboat rations - I'm just a bit lazy, I guess. All my leftover freeze dried meals go into my at home supplies, anyway.

I'm curious as to specifically why you prefer the micropur to iodine, though?

Yep. Gatorade powder. I use a pretty dilute concentration when exerting myself in hot weather, about 1/5 of "normal," to aid absorption and offset hyponatremia.

It takes me several days, at least, to get a decent acclimation to living and working hard in high heat and humidity, 24/7, and without any cooling breaks at all. Occasionally, I even find a liter or two of IV fluids in the first day or two very helpful. I have to watch my fluids and electrolytes carefully, and I find that plain water just doesn't do it for me.

The lifeboat rations facilitate smaller, more frequent meals, require less water to digest, and so work well for me as a hot weather survival ration.

Jeff

#156044 - 11/22/08 08:51 PM Re: My BOB List - Comments? [Re: Jeff_M]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I prefer the micropur because I don't believe the iodine kills the crypto in the water. DR gives a good overview in his water treatment section.

As I said, I like MREs, but they really add a significant weight. I tend to take at least one plus some Mountain House when I do backpacking...

#156311 - 11/25/08 03:21 AM Re: My BOB List - Comments? [Re: Jeff_M]
Gratefully Offline
Stranger

I live in Florida, half-way down the Gulf coast. I know what you mean about food in the trunk. What I do is mix peanuts, raisins, and either candy corn or miniature jellybeans instead of the traditional chocolate.I put it in the peanuts jar and make a seal of that cling wrap you can press and seal to keep fresh,then put the lid back on tightly and dont bother to tape it.The peanuts still absorb some moisture from the raisins and taste a little bland but I treat it as a new taste and try not to compare it with freshly opened peanuts.When walking in the heat I have found that sugar is almost as important as salt. One of the components of treatment for heat stroke is an I.V. w/ sugar in it. I have had two bouts of heat exhaustion which left me chilled and shivering in 90+ degree weather; glucose tablets (those sold in the drug store in the diabetic supplies) were what stopped the shakes so I could function. I don't know of any food that will last indefinitely but this combination lasted two years in my trunk, and that was before I got smart enough to keep a cooler in there just to protect the food and liquid-filled compass.

#156313 - 11/25/08 03:58 AM Re: My BOB List - Comments? [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Try "Field Stripping" your MRE's. Pull it open, toss what you don't want, squeeze out excess air and reseal with a hot iron. Less bulk, less weight, and less trash to "tail a trail" behind you.

Great thing about MRE meals, one is usually enough for a day unless you are really working it hard.

Also have been meaning to ask what is the oil of cloves for?

How do you feel about the AMK rehydration salts drink mix vs Gatoraide?

Electronics (GPS, PLB and etc.) as time/need/money permit?

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 574 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.