Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155567 - 11/18/08 03:48 AM Glock Field Knife
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I know, "Not another knife question!".

I recently received a Glock Field Knife from a young man who had no use for it. Read "parents caught him with it and gave it to me".

The only experience I have with Glock products are ones that go BANG, or dig holes. It really looks more like a bayonet without the option of being able to attach it to a rifle. As such it may go into the "knife drawer" that holds all of my not-in-use steel.

Does anyone have any time with one of these?

RIP OBG

#155587 - 11/18/08 05:23 AM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: Desperado]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't own one, but I have heard of them. They're supposed to be reasonably well made knives. Nothing overly special, but not a P.O.S. either. Their "claim to fame" so to speak, is their bang for the buck value.

They beat the stuffing out of one on here and it held up pretty well, IMO.

Glock Field Knife Test

#155592 - 11/18/08 09:06 AM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: Paul810]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Those knives are standard issue in the Austrian armed forces, maybe some branches of the German army as well. I have handled one and it does look pretty decent. Very much a no-frills piece of equipment. Several versions exist, some with a sawback. All are based on the same bayonet-combat knife concept, however. The blade may be a little too narrow and pointy for outdoor survival tasks. The blade profile is really meant more for stabbing than utility work IMHO. It could still work reasonably well in the field but personally I would prefer a Kabar.

Edit: I just did a quick search on some of the German message boards - apparently the steel is fairly soft and the quality is no longer what it used to be - Glock may have transferred the production to China. There have also been a lot of complaints about the finish. The black coating supposedly doesn't last long and is scratched/removed very easily. From what I've read, a lot of folks who have been issued this knife didn't like it too much in practice.

Edited by Tom_L (11/18/08 09:21 AM)

#155601 - 11/18/08 01:41 PM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: Tom_L]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
I have one from the first year they came out. It's a fairly tough, no frills tool. Mine rides in my car kit, and I wouldn't be unwilling to use it to dig holes or otherwise abuse it. However, if I had any need for a fixed blade for daily carry, I'd likely look for something a bit nicer.

It's actually not too badly balanced for throwing fast-ball style, and the tip has held up well even under that kind of punishment.

#155605 - 11/18/08 02:07 PM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: jaywalke]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I have one, haven't really tried to use it as a survival knife but I think it's a bit narrow and thin for those tasks. Kinda big for slicing cheese and salami for sandwiches and not big enough to baton for wood splitting.

The Glock folding shovel is a much more task-suited product.

#155619 - 11/18/08 03:44 PM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: unimogbert]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Only use I have for that shape blade is digging weeds in the yard. And we no longer have a yard...

#155635 - 11/18/08 06:39 PM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

See to it that poor kid gets a nice SAK or something similar.

#155646 - 11/18/08 09:56 PM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

Looking into a Leatherman Wave. Hopefully I can convince the parents it isn't just an edged weapon. Between my son, the young man who lives with us and I, we hope to provide some type of outdoors experience for this kid. His dad wouldn't know which end of the fishing pole to hold, BUT he wants advice on which model 1911 to buy.

Anyone envy me teaching this guy he isn't the second coming of Col. Jeff Cooper, just because he is good at HALO video game.

I NEVER should have let him see my EDC Kimber 1911.

RIP OBG

#155684 - 11/19/08 07:32 AM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: Desperado]
Did Offline
Stranger

Loc: France
Hello,

I have a Glock knife (with saw) since 20 years. It's not a good knife for cutting like bushcrafting or field dressing.

The carbon steel is not very hard (+- 54 HRc I think)but resilient (Charpy test).
The geometry of the blade is narrow (a little less without saw). These knifes have a blade quite like US M3, but the extremity is more blunted and less weak (nowadays equipement like chest riggs are full of metal).
It's true that the coating is weak, but who care in the field ?

It's a good knife for stabbing or make your work on the field (cut the iron of ammunition boxes, open wood boxes, stabbing jerrycan, small prying, dig holes....). It is very resilient. One more feature : with the guard of the knife you could open bottles, it's a good way to preserve your rifle (sometimes soldiers open beers with parts of their rifles).

The sheat in plastic is very very good. Hard plastic make it "idiot proof" if you fall on your side.
You could hold it on your right our left side (ambidextrous).
You could put it on your beltt or take off very easily without open your belt.
You could bring your knife with only one hand because you have a secure clip thet you could open with only two fingers.
If you choose the good one on shop, it's quite noiseless.

So I think that for the price this is a good tool for duty service. Personnaly I use it on my rucksack when hunting, to kill wounded wild boars (stabbing) when dogs are on the animal.

I have some others good knifes, more prestigious, or with better geometry blades or steel for bushcrafting or field dressing (ex : Roselli hunter in UHC and another with +- 1075).

We must consider that for an army the price of the equipement must be low for financial purpose. For soldiers, it is better to have a 20$ good knife than to NOT have an hypothetic 200$ very good knife.
This knife was made at a time (80's) in the past that you have a four millions army on the borders. So no time to increase expense for equipment after the beginning of the war....and wait for good equipement before engaging the real battle.
You have to deal, in a democracy, with others expenses that citizen want in peace times. I think that for this reason it's is not "top of notch" knive, it's a good tool.

But, If I had to go somewhere on the "Limes of Empire", like austrian army tradition, I would think twice about this knife.

(Sorry for my english, I could read easily but it's difficult to explain technical term in english. So I must use very simple words and must be quite rude. If you don't understand my english, ask me for more explanation.)

didier.

Edited by Did (11/19/08 07:46 AM)

#156082 - 11/23/08 02:22 AM Re: Glock Field Knife [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

Looking into a Leatherman Wave. Hopefully I can convince the parents it isn't just an edged weapon. Between my son, the young man who lives with us and I, we hope to provide some type of outdoors experience for this kid. His dad wouldn't know which end of the fishing pole to hold, BUT he wants advice on which model 1911 to buy.

Anyone envy me teaching this guy he isn't the second coming of Col. Jeff Cooper, just because he is good at HALO video game.

I NEVER should have let him see my EDC Kimber 1911.

Young man is now the proud owner of a Leatherman Wave. I already broke the Glock Field Knife (They really must stick to firearms), and dad got his first lesson with my Beretta .22LR pistol today.

Was really a productive day. Dad need a shotgun though.

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.