Yeah, I have given up on Aspartame, but Splenda seems to be an acceptable alternative. It is still sugar, but in a form humans can't assimilate. One thing I've noticed about using Splenda in baked goods, especially pies, is that it tends to produce mold quicker than regular sugar.

Splenda doesn't seem to have as strong an aftertaste or off taste as other sweeteners seem to, at least for most of the people I talk to. Personally, I have no problem with consuming sugar, but for those who have a sweet tooth and health problems associated with diet, Splenda seems the best alternative. If it means the difference between getting used to an unfamiliar taste vs. having to stick a needle in my belly every day, I know which way I would prefer to go.

By the way, I love how every manufacturer of a different sugar alternative villifies all other products while touting their own. One thing they all claim is that the FDA does not test the products of other substitutes well enough or otherwise discounts the hazards before approving it for the market, yet somehow theirs is the only safe one that's been fully tested and that the FDA got right??? Based on these claims, nothing the FDA tests and subsequently approves for general consumption is any good. Ridiculous hype! The same holds true for health professionals. Once they decide which product they like, all the rest are unsafe. There must be hundreds of doctors writing thousands of papers on the adverse health effects of consuming every known sweetener, from table sugar to tagatose, except the one they recommend.

Gimme a stinking break.