Another article here. Not much new information, unless you read through the comments section where one of the lost hikers in the article gives a bit more detail

Not sure what to think of this one. I have been hiking on that trailhead, but not the exact trail they were on though. Even starting at 9, their route to Sugarloaf peak is about 4 miles give or take, and the Peak is probably less than a mile from the road (straight line). And the while the weather changes fast,I don't understand the part about throwing stones in order to make your way down. Visibility would have to be absolutely zero to do something like that.

However, I did know a SAR friend who used to work that area, and out of all the areas in those mountiains, he specifically mentioned Ice House canyon was one of most common areas for rescue. Not the main Baldy trail that most people use. I think it's probably a combination of easy access for everyone and what looks like a easy dayhike, but with rapidly changing weather and extremely difficult terrain. If you stay on the trails it's not bad, but once you leave the trail and start going cross country you could be some serious trouble. I know I've tried it once, and it's not something I plan on repeating.

Were they experienced and just unlucky this one time? Or maybe they're inexperienced and just been lucky every other time? It's hard to say, because even the most experienced hiker runs out of luck at some point. After reading this article, it gave me the motivation to finally go out and buy the AMK HeatSheet Bivy. Really i just use this as an excuse, I was gonna buy it anyway. smile