Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154504 - 11/07/08 12:16 AM Kid runs away from home to join a survival school
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008319606_nicholas28m.html

Kid was going to hoof it from Washington to NJ to try to talk Tom Brown into letting him study despite being under 18. Was out for 12 days, before he gave up. Got to give him credit- he didn't screw up, and it beats joining the circus to be a clown. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154507 - 11/07/08 12:40 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
That could have ended very badly, but inasmuch as it didn't, it makes a very cute story. It would be really cool if Tom Brown sent him an autograhped something-or-other.

By the way, 12 days in the woods, a lot of adults can't do that. That speaks well for Tom Brown's books -- and for that kid of course.

#154513 - 11/07/08 01:57 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Oh, I'll go contrary on this - poor mis-beguided kid. He left home, with a "bye mom, see you in six months" note. He headed out into the wilderness above Stevens Pass, not really knowing where he was. "He found a river - he's not even sure which one" and followed it until it became an obstacle. He eventually found his way down, after 12 days on the run. His objective was New Jersey - apparently no one told him how far and how difficult that journey would be during winter months.

One bad slip, he might have been found several seasons by now, by an uninterested hiker or hunter. But he came down, and turned himself in, thinking better of his grand adventure. That's good. He left, not telling anyone where he was headed, no route plan, no game plan. Very little path for SAR to follow, more likely he would be at truck stops long Highway 2. If this was an adventure or survival, it wasn't much - and he violated every rule of giving a loved one an itinerary or at least a sense of direction. Sorry folks, I don't see anything romantic or admirable in what he did.

#154514 - 11/07/08 02:06 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: ]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i don't really know what to add. this is truly impressive. many kids fantasize about doing this, some even make a bindle and hike down the street, but this is the first time i've ever heard of someone actually doing it, just walking out the door and into the woods. wow. *_*

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#154527 - 11/07/08 04:19 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: Lono]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Sorry folks, I don't see anything romantic or admirable in what he did."

Well, yes and no.

It was a dumb thing to do. But apart from that initial decision, he did pretty well. But get this: he actually THOUGHT about what he was doing, and formed a plan. Most of the kids in my neighborhood would only have taken extra batteries for their electronic toys.

And he was only 13. How many adults have failed even to do as much as he did?

At least he didn't go with the popular 'adult plan' of traveling with minimal gear. Which shows he's smarter than some.

Sue

#154529 - 11/07/08 05:00 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: Susan]
Jakam
Unregistered

Good points Sue!

And yes, it could have gone the other way, I shudder to think.

But it cracks me up "he hasn't stopped eating". I'll betcha that was the true determining factor, when you boil it all down.

#154537 - 11/07/08 07:59 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Determined little bugger, isn't he?

Wonder if Tom Brown might be interested in offering him a summer job?

#154539 - 11/07/08 10:24 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Sounds like a "made for T.V. movie" just waiting to happen.

#154540 - 11/07/08 11:14 AM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: Lono]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Didn't Aaron Hallam need a bar of soap as well as I seem to recall?

Hopefully, this kid has learn't a lesson, being cold, tired, hungry and not being able to handle your own stink isn't like the Hollywood Movies.

I hope his mom, gave him a good clip around the ear when he got home, for what this kid has put his mom through.

#154544 - 11/07/08 02:20 PM Re: Kid runs away from home to join a survival sch [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Didn't Aaron Hallam need a bar of soap as well as I seem to recall?

Hopefully, this kid has learn't a lesson, being cold, tired, hungry and not being able to handle your own stink isn't like the Hollywood Movies.

I hope his mom, gave him a good clip around the ear when he got home, for what this kid has put his mom through.

Two clips.
One for worrying her silly.
And a second one for being too dumb to realise that soap & a toothbrush are not excess weight. Irrespective of what the lightweight fanatics think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 556 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.