Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#154131 - 11/03/08 06:57 PM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: Grouch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I just make the observation that an awful lot of people are suddenly interested in buying all kinds of firearms. Not necessarily a political thing, but does make you think...

#154132 - 11/03/08 07:03 PM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: Grouch]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Grouch
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
You left Florida just as hunting season is getting started. General Gun season here in Florida runs from October to January and every time I go to Wal-Mart somebody is buying up all the .308 rounds like they're going out of business.

Maybe a pre-election precaution more than a current hunting need.

Seems to be common about everywhere.

#154133 - 11/03/08 07:25 PM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: benjammin]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I just make the observation that an awful lot of people are suddenly interested in buying all kinds of firearms. Not necessarily a political thing, but does make you think...

Yes, it does.

Didn't we see reports of an uptick in interest at general preparedness websites and such, recently, too?

I wonder if there is a major "gun run" really going on, whether it will get reported in the popular media (and HOW it will be reported), and whether it is an expression of general socio-economic insecurity or of concern specifically over partisan electoral outcomes?

I hope it is the former and not the latter. I think we are becoming a bit too polarized in a politically unhealthy way, lately. When I hear major candidates or politicians refer to "Real" Americans and "un"-Americans, and make calls for loyalty investigations, I get uncomfortable, because I think it is destabilizing. In any case, I think we are entering another era of rapid change and some attendant socio-economic dislocation and readjustment.

I hope, whoever wins, our national leaders recognize and act on a need to foster a sense of national unity and a greater focus on urgent national, rather than less pressing partisan, priorities.

Jeff

#154142 - 11/03/08 08:23 PM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: Jeff_M]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I hope, whoever wins, our national leaders recognize and act on a need to foster a sense of national unity and a greater focus on urgent national, rather than less pressing partisan, priorities.

Wouldn't THAT be an interesting turn of events! I think I won't hold my breath.

#154147 - 11/03/08 08:46 PM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: Grouch]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Grouch
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

Wouldn't THAT be an interesting turn of events! I think I won't hold my breath.

I'm basically an optimist, but not the breath-holding kind.

Jeff

#154181 - 11/04/08 12:13 AM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: Jeff_M]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been wanting to buy/learn to shoot a handgun for a few years now, was going to buy a .22 to learn on for a few years so I wonder what will happen long term, should I skip up to a "real" gun.

#154188 - 11/04/08 12:39 AM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: Eugene]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I've been wanting to buy/learn to shoot a handgun for a few years now, was going to buy a .22 to learn on for a few years so I wonder what will happen long term, should I skip up to a "real" gun.

Probably not. Just keep track of political developments. .22 handguns are the least likely caliber of handgun to get banned, although handguns themselves are just behind ammo on the list of things likely to see restrictions.

I'm betting we won't see much in the way of new gun restrictions from the new Congress. But 2nd Amendment rights, like ALL civil rights, are fragile things, requiring constant safeguarding.

Jeff

#154307 - 11/04/08 11:34 PM Re: Another hunting season busted [Re: Jeff_M]
sodak Offline
Addict

I've been thinking about getting back into elk hunting after 20 years absence. No good reason, just busy with work and kids. Let me know if you ever want to get to that outdoor shooting area, maybe we could take a trip up there in my truck.

I wish we had a good outdoor range close by, the really good one up by me closed a few years back. I like a good bench rest as opposed to being on my knees, but will do what I have to.

My 45/70 needs to be dialed in anyway... laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 211 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.