Chisel, I overlooked your initial post regarding the military survival knife and Tracker.

I know a few posters and many people carry the knife. In the interest of giving confidence in what you have, here's a review.

The knife was made by Camilllus and Ontario,now only Ontario, both fine makers. The only difference is a slightly deeper clip and @ 4+ rockwell increase in the Camillus.
There are a few asian knockoffs. These are plain awfull and are readilly I.D.ed by the sheath sans metal tip guard and leather handle of different pattern.

What we have, is a knife of plain vanilla 1095 carbon, rattail tang, stacked leather handle with a hammer butcap and double guard. teh sheath is leather, sheet metal cap to prevent the blade cutting through the sheath and into us.The small pouch holds a sharpening stone and a tie down lace is included. The metal is all phosphate coated. The leather is untreated.

Our first order of business is the leather. I teated mine with a quality saddle product called Skidmores out of Montana. If you get a knioe with loose parts, the leather has dried. Drop it into water and let the leather swell, wipe down and dress.

Toss the lace out. You can use paracord if desired for a securing lanyard. You will need it! the upper strap is very ineffective.

Toss the stone out too! It is useless. You Can get a sharp edge with lots of elbow greese and proper stones. You will have a half shiny blade and need to dress it with a protective oil.
You can replace the stone with another stone. I stuffed mine with a SPARKLITE and tinder.

The upper guard has two lanyard holes for lashing into a spear.
We've debated this idea elsewhere. If you like upper gaurds, the location makes for a SAFER wrist lanyard.
I don't and you can carefully amputate the upper guard without breaking the tack welds.The ergonomics of such a modified knife are very pleasant.

The but hammer is a functional hammer. I've used mine to crack open green bones for marrow. You have to use care with the exposed blade, or keep the sheath on which is terribly akward.Prolonged pounding can shake the knife assembly up.

The weakest part is that extreme bowie clip. It makes a splendid drill and expedient awl, cuts very nice groves and seems predestined to snap off.

As I posted above, the sawback is for egressing aluminum and plexiglass aircraft that are no longer airborne. It does work.I used mine to access crash victims in small private airplanes. It scales fish, chisels fancy lashing grooves and makes batoning lots of fun.

As a summing overview: Military issue survival gear is viewed as onetime use and then is usually considered junk. For the price you can do worse, much,much worse. I knew an entire Empire that didn't hesitate to trade for these knives. I did once. My russian counterpart was DELIGHTED. His hard to acquire AK 47 bayonet made the survival knife look like a winner, which it can be, with care.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (10/28/08 05:46 PM)