At least in a rural area your risk is lower, my parents still leave their doors unlocked.

Poeple go for the ourbuildings first, detached garages, sheds, etc where they can break into without being heard or seen and steal tools to pawn. Then it will be a back door or window away from roads where someone coming by could see them.

After our shed was broken into and I fixed the damage there I looked at the old wooden door on the back of our garage and went and bought a new door. i actually bought a new front door for the house and swapped them, putting the brand new door on the house and the existing door on the garage, both were steel doors.
I had to widen the opening to make the entry door fit the garage so while I had the wall open I made sure to put double 2x4's on each side of the door frame with 3.5" constuction screws hlding everything in place, then marked the spot for the deadbolt and drlled out a hole there and drove a piece of pipe theough so the deadbolt went into the pipe rather than just that thin metal plate that screws to the frame. Someone will break their leg on that door if they try to kick it open.
Next is windows, put those little clamps or just put in a screw or drill a hole for a downel pin so they can't be opened far enough to crawl through so they would just have to break the glass. You could put a steel pipe inside the opening to cut across the open hole preventing anyone from crawling through.