Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#152906 - 10/23/08 01:18 AM Re: Snake bite: Another reason why we homeschool. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Thank God we only have a few pit vipers (easy to identify) and the Coral Snake to worry about here in the US. You go elsewhere, and there are some pretty nasty snakes. Some of those buggers from Australia give me the shivers. Not that Africa or Asia are that much better. I'm moving to Greenland!

#152951 - 10/23/08 06:59 PM Re: Snake bite: Another reason why we homeschool. [Re: haertig]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Antarctica, Iceland and Ireland don't have snakes, either. I guess New Zealand didn't have, until people took them there.

Personally, I'd rather live in Ireland. South of the Irish Mason-Dixon Line.

Sue

#152999 - 10/24/08 02:38 AM Re: Snake bite: Another reason why we homeschool. [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Even the experts aren't always sure which snakes are which. Particularly if it was a juvenile. Young snakes have different coloration and markings from the adult.

I caught a young snake I couldn't identify and took it to a herpetologist friend of mine who messes with local snakes. He dug out a couple of books and still couldn't tell for sure what it was. He runs a reptile shop and, just to satisfy our curiosity, he kept it and let it grow. A couple of week later it was clearly a rat snake. He offered me $20 dollars to keep it, it was worth more because it had unusual coloration. I busted the snake out of jail and let it go in the woods.

#153061 - 10/24/08 03:50 PM Re: Snake bite: Another reason why we homeschool. [Re: haertig]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
In CT that top snake with the yellow tail, would be called a juvenile copperhead. I remember water mocs as darker, with less patterning, but I haven't seen one of them in ages...

#153158 - 10/25/08 01:58 AM Re: Two snake stories [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A local guy had a snake climb into the John boat he was in was in. he proceeded to try to shoot the snake with a 10/22 with a large capacity magazine. After twenty or so shots through the bottom, all misses by his account, the boat started sinking.

He was afraid in the boat but terrified having to swim to shore, seeing as the snake would be at eye level, he panicked and dropped the rifle.

He later retrieved the boat and it was usable after extensive patching but lost the rifle in the mud.

Some people just lose all rationality when faced with a snake. I never understood the need to kill snakes. I've killed two or three where I didn't have much choice but have caught and released many times that. And, assuming your forced to kill one, using firearms just doesn't make much sense to me. If you really have to kill a snake use a stick. One good swat and it breaks their back. Then you just work up toward the head. Simple.

#153190 - 10/25/08 04:16 PM Re: Two snake stories [Re: Art_in_FL]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Some people just lose all rationality when faced with a snake. I never understood the need to kill snakes. I've killed two or three where I didn't have much choice but have caught and released many times that. And, assuming your forced to kill one, using firearms just doesn't make much sense to me.

Using a firearm is not necessarily a bad idea (especially if an irrational fear of snakes precludes you from being able to be in direct contact with it, even with a stick) but trying to shoot a snake with a .22LR can be a tough shot. I keep a couple of boxes of CCI shot shells on hand (.22LR and 40 S&W) just for snakes, although a 12ga target or bird shot round (#9 shot) is even more effective if noise is not an issue.

Jim

#153221 - 10/25/08 10:15 PM Re: Two snake stories [Re: Art_in_FL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If you must use a gun to kill a snake, buttstoke it. It keeps the dirt out of your barrel. But you'll never shoot it unless you are using shot.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 233 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.