Originally Posted By: bsmith
hikin jim: "The problem I have is not so much blisters but bruising toenails."

i understand this bruising is caused by your toes - especially on the downhill - being jammed into the shoe box on a repetitive basis. it's possible to lose the nails from this, i know firsthand. the two great toes.

perhaps thinner socks, perhaps larger shoes/boots with two pair of socks, perhaps different lacing - the "sherpa knot" as mentioned above w/pic by romania is also great at keeping your foot tight - that is, the foot not being able to move forwards and backwards, but not too tight that it cuts off circulation.
My issue is weird. I'm not moving around in my boots a lot, and the boots aren't too short. It's more like the toenails are rubbing on the top of the toe box of the boot. I've had it happen on innumerable pairs of shoes. The boots I've got now (Lowas) are better than my last set (Dunhams), but still having the problem.

Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
Bsmith,
I was just on top of Jacinto last weekend, and did Baldy last month. Have you ever done the C2C trail?

not yet. my hiking buddy has several times. i'm hoping in dec - before any major storms.
Dec is pretty late season for C2C. Usually mid-Oct to early/mid Nov is the season. Snow's an issue in Dec, but the even greater issue is ice. If you're not trained, experienced, and practiced with an ice axe and crampons, think twice. Ask professional guide James Simon (well, actually you can't 'cause he died in an ice accident on that trail). A marine stationed at 29 Palms slipped, went over the side and went 800' down a chute last year. He lived (there is a God). Anyway, not trying to be paranoid here, but really check the conditions if you're going to try to do C2C in Dec.