I think the one natural disaster I try to keep in mind when I prepare a BOB or kit is a tsunami, the one forecast to occur when half of a volcano falls off one of the Canary Islands. It's not something I want to occur or even entirely believe will as a worse case scenario, but if that is the standard I am working toward, then my preparations should be able to handle many less impressive events. My thinking is that if you prepare for the worst, you'll be prepared for a lot.

I gear my stuff toward having and being able to acquire food, water, clothing, shelter, fire, first aid, and perhaps a few other things.

My first aid kit is geared towards things I think I can or mght be able to use. No stitches for example, but lots of gauze, tape, an eyewash, disinfectants and some medications for simple things like mild pain relievers (aspirin, tylenol, etc.), immodium, decongestants and antihistamines.

I think you also need to think about lesser and more local events, to see if there are holes in your plans. Preparing for a tsunami may leave you not having considered the ways in which you might deal with things like a fire. Perhaps, you might overlook having a fire extinguisher.

The other ones I tend to think about include storms (hurricanes, blizzards, etc.), terror attacks, blackouts, fire, civil unrest, etc. Each may or may not have me adding things to what I have as gear, but what I want DW and myself thinking about is how do we react and react quickly. NYC is not a place I want to be stuck in for all that long.