AF survival knives are made of a very low rockwell hardness. Yes, they can be honed exceedingly sharp. My complaint is they then get exceedingly dull with any hard use. Some people decrie hard use as abuse and prescribe axes or the large bowie-kukhri-machete blades.In the real world, more than one knife is the way to go. But in the real world we may only carry one knife, so it better be the best all around compromise. I managed to snap my issue AF knife at the hilt. I have heard first hand of the Ka-Bar also snapping from several sources. If you like the AF, I suggest the following simple mods; cut the upper crossguard off, drill a lanyard hole in the hamerbutt ( off center, avoid the tang) or wrap a paracord handle with loop. Secure a proper diamond hone to the sheath and put something usefull in the empty pouch. The hone provided is worthless. Carefull filing can vastly improve the sawback feature. I made offset teeth much like a saw.If you can touch up the blade frequently, the dulling will not be as severe. The clip bowie is also prone to chipping . There are countless knife links with instructions on sharpening a blade.There are several blade geometries and even more jigs,guides and gizmos to sharpen them with. I settled on the scandinavian grind, a simple "V". It's the easiest to resharpen and idiot proof (me) with practice.<br><br>