Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151811 - 10/13/08 06:16 PM Newbie and overly way super long posting
Sasser Offline
Sasseroo
Stranger

Loc: Maryland
I never knew this kind of "group" existed. I mean I guess I would have had I ever thought about it, but never really got the "vibe" to NEED to think about "survival". I mean really, I sleep in a nice warm bed, eat food when I want it.. I turn on the faucet and out comes "fresh" water....(sigh)

I grew up down south - my daddy made sure I knew how to change a tire, shoot a gun (and made me go to hunter safety courses) and the whole gambit. I could hold my own and can honestly say that back in the day I was much more prepared for a number of things vs. now when I've gone all soft (and a little more pugdgier) smile

I was in the air 911, and it was an experience that I never wanted to find myself in again - the, "oh crap, what to do" feeling is debilitating at 32000 feet, much less on the ground - and I like being prepared - having a plan... I'm a IT program manager by trade, work in lots of different industries - and this aspect makes me good at my job. I plan, prepare and execute on a daily basis.

Still I never took the "need" personally to be prepared for myself... that is.. until I had my daughter. Talk about instinctual, primal even.... I now know how a momma bear feels when the cubs are threatened. At warp speed over the last year (I'm a new momma), I have escalated the "need" to "feel" to be "prepared".

I randomly talk to people about this, specially due to the area I live (way close to DC) - friends, family, the random stranger on a plane.. about "preparedness". I was appalled at how many (men and women alike) said.. "oh don't worry", "nothing will happen again", or "your husband will take care of you". Uh... ok.

Well gawd love my hubby, he's chock full of common sense which isn't all that common and he's a good man. But when push comes to shove, I am the planner, thinker, initiator, pit bulldog of the house. It's my nature to remain calm and think and I have absolutely no problems with this and he has no problems with this (Believe me when I say we both have our strengths and weaknesses). When I broached this subject with him, his response was "Why worry"? This only confirmed my "need".

Enter google - and a whole new world has opened up to me - and how I found EST. My gawd I had no idea how truly unprepared my family was if in fact something happened (a checklist just isn't enough)(whatever it is - power outage to an alien attack) (not to mention the overall naivity) of people in general. Maybe I always knew this and just chose to ignore it.. but I figure it's better late than never....

I've been lurking and just soaking up ideas and basically having more 'ah-ha' moments than I care to admit to. So - I wanted to say hello, apologize for any silly questions now (although this won't keep me from asking them), and to thank you all already for the willingness to share. I hope that I will eventually be able to give something back.

Sas

#151814 - 10/13/08 06:37 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Welcome, Sasser! It's great that your awareness has been triggered. You have now completed Step 1 (The Awakening) on the road to preparedness. smile

Your hubby will come around when your preparedness touches him in a personal way. It might be something small but it will inspire a "I get it" moment.

#151818 - 10/13/08 06:58 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Sasser,,

We've always got an extra log by the fire so have a seat, and jump on into the conversation. Everybody has something to learn and everybody has something to offer.

Welcome to the campfire!!

#151828 - 10/13/08 08:15 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi and welcome... that's kinda how we all got here. Its mostly about prep -- and especially smart prep or what can we learn or do to tilt the odds in our favor.

Teacher

#151835 - 10/13/08 08:56 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: TeacherRO]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

welcome to the fire NEWGIRL!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#151841 - 10/13/08 09:32 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: climberslacker]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Welcome Newgal!!

#151847 - 10/13/08 09:51 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Welcome, Sas! And don't worry, Doug has probably had to buy bigger hard drives just to store all of my long-winded posts, too, so don't worry about writing too much. wink

#151851 - 10/13/08 10:07 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

#151853 - 10/13/08 10:11 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Welcome to the campfire Sasser.

Pull up a log (just not one of the burning ones).

Looking forward to your input.

#151861 - 10/13/08 10:51 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Welcome to the fire Sasser. If ya don't know, ASK. There is an excellent chance that someone here can help with about any preparedness issue. smile

#151873 - 10/14/08 12:24 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Welcome! This is a good group because we have both urban and wilderness experts on making it thru difficult times. I'm often in your neck of the woods and that influences my preparedness paradigms. That is, can I survive being stuck on the beltway in a snowstorm? (actually in DC a stiff breeze blowing some leaves around can cause massive backups)

Remember that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

#151875 - 10/14/08 12:26 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Welcome newgal!!!

#151877 - 10/14/08 12:31 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Kris]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I'm glad you decided to come up to the fire and sit a spell laugh

Onwards and upwards, together...

#151879 - 10/14/08 12:36 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: clarktx]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Welcome Sasser, looking forward to your posts,glad you decided to join. Nice first post.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#151880 - 10/14/08 12:53 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Shadow_oo00]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hey, Sasser, welcome aboard.

There's no better feeling than having a "Plan B" ready to roll.

#151887 - 10/14/08 01:31 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Welcome Sasser,

This is a fun place where you can learn lots (I sure do).

Mike

#151892 - 10/14/08 02:10 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: SwampDonkey]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
welcome Sasser,

come to the fire and try to stay out of the smoke. It sure is nice to hear that the ladies think us guys are civil enough to join with us.

#151919 - 10/14/08 11:52 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: big_al]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Welcome to the club. Don't worry about zombie attacks wink

Find your local Ham radio ARES/RACES or CERT team too - a LOT to learn there, and you'll find local folks who worry about what is near you.

Maryland, eh? What part? My wife has a bunch of family in the Frederick/Jefferson area
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#151926 - 10/14/08 01:32 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, friend. Grab a stump, perk up your ears, and don't be afraid to ask questions or tell of your experiences.

-Blast, offical ETS Lady's Man and Minister of Ducks
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#151940 - 10/14/08 05:01 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Blast]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Welcome, Sasser!

Blast-I've never been called a "lady's man," but I've been called a "girly man" before. That's pretty much the same thing, right?

Jeff

#151946 - 10/14/08 06:49 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Welcome aboard, Sasser.

#151955 - 10/14/08 10:36 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Nicodemus]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Same here, Welcome.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#151956 - 10/14/08 10:38 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Welcome Sas. *rolls a new stump over the fire*
*looks at it*

*comes back with bear cub sized stump to put next to it* For the little one.

You'll find a lot of us aren't so worried about ourselves, but we are preparing for the people we care about. Feel free to ask silly questions- I've been here for... YEARS, and I still ask silly questions.

BTW, Blast- does your lovely and beautiful DW know you are the ETS ladies man? I'll take that banner off your hands so you don't get in trouble.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#151965 - 10/15/08 12:57 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Shh! Don't be stupid! You know your wife read these boards!

I love my wife. She is a wonderful person and I'd never do anything to hurt her. Everything about her is great and I even enjoy the way she is biting my ear as she reads this over my shoulder. Everyone should be as lucky as me.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#151967 - 10/15/08 01:01 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Welcome Sasser.

Just in case some of the ETS acronyms trip you up, here is a fairly complete list.

Jim

#151975 - 10/15/08 02:55 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

#151978 - 10/15/08 03:51 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Welcome to the party Sasser. As everyone has said: "Grab a log to plant yourself on and enjoy the fire." You'll a lot of fun here. These folks really have a ton of stuff to share and great stories to tell. Like the one about the "Great Cat Bathing Incident" in Texas....

Blast - Oh Great and Scarred Cat Bather, regal your humble vassals with the triumphant tale of your great victory, again. HARDY HAR HAR!!! (couldn't resist it)

#151982 - 10/15/08 11:00 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Good disclaimer posting there Blast.

Ben - Who also loves his wonderful wife dearly, whether being bitten or not, and learned his lesson long ago.

#151984 - 10/15/08 11:30 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: benjammin]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Got bit hard, eh? wink

#152001 - 10/15/08 03:42 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Welcome, Sasser! It's always nice to get a few more X chromosomes around here. The Ys here are really great, but sometimes they tend to get carried away just a teensy bit grin with the bulletproof, zombieproof Hummer with the gun turrets (aka 'gear'), when we women know that we can scrounge up something just as good from the junk in the garage in five minutes wink.

But a better bunch of guys you won't find anywhere, and that's a promise! They're from all walks of life and all kinds of experience and knowledge, and if there's something you need to know about ANYTHING (not just on-topic), there's going to be at least half a dozen guys that know all about it, and probably more.

So don't be afraid to ask and don't be afraid to offer.

You can do a Search on zombies, if you want, but when someone here tells you to Beware of the Zombies, just replace 'zombies' with 'politicians', and you'll probably be just fine.

Sue

#152008 - 10/15/08 04:29 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Susan]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I count for two Y's as, judging from my offspring, I have no X chromosomes.

On the other hand I still don't have the guts to put my life on the line like Blast does. Wives tend to get "historical" which is a lot like hysterical: "AND THEN THERE WAS THAT TIME YOU FLIRTED WITH THAT WOMAN ON ETS TEN YEARS AGO!!! "

Let's not bring up the whole Zombie Hunter Outfit fiasco...

Edited by thseng (10/15/08 04:30 PM)
Edit Reason: decided to flush browser history and temp files just in case

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#152022 - 10/15/08 06:25 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: thseng]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
"AND THEN THERE WAS THAT TIME YOU FLIRTED WITH THAT WOMAN ON ETS TEN YEARS AGO!!! "

Um, women. Plural.

-Blast

#152024 - 10/15/08 06:41 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Ok. that's it. I give up.

I can no longer be held responsible for your spiritual welfare or continued respiration.

#152031 - 10/15/08 07:29 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I gotta get me one of them t-shirts!

#152037 - 10/15/08 08:04 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: thseng]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I can no longer be held responsible for your spiritual welfare or continued respiration.

But you see, stirring up other women's interests in me only shows DW that she posses something of high value. Let's say a fellow ETS lady sends me pictures of herself in a Milla Jovovich-Resident Evil inspired zombie-fighting outfit. When DW sees these pictures it only confirms that I was worth catching. Why would she settle for someone no one else wants? More importantly, her view of herself improves because she knows I chose her among a field of many.

grin
-Blast

Edited by Blast (10/15/08 08:18 PM)
Edit Reason: came up with a better excuse

#152068 - 10/16/08 03:10 AM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Blast]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
E komo mai, Sasser. Welcome

#152127 - 10/16/08 04:49 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Blast
But you see, stirring up other women's interests in me only shows DW that she posses something of high value. Let's say a fellow ETS lady sends me pictures of herself in a Milla Jovovich-Resident Evil inspired zombie-fighting outfit. When DW sees these pictures it only confirms that I was worth catching. Why would she settle for someone no one else wants? More importantly, her view of herself improves because she knows I chose her among a field of many.

Hmmmmmm... Perhaps my problem is that my wife is already convinced that she has secured as a husband an impeccable male specimen of the species (issue of having two Y chromosomes instead of XY aside), and naturally expects attacks from every wicked city woman in a thousand mile radius without any need of further evidence.

P.S. Reminds me, her birthday is coming up - I think I'll get her one of those zombie fighting outfits. wink

#152145 - 10/16/08 07:53 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Blast]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

grin
-Blast

Just for the record, I have never received any pictures of anyone in a Milla Jovovich-Resident Evil inspired zombie-fighting outfit. However, if any females want to send them out... smirk

-Brian, whose death wish might be fulfilled if his DW reads this post. shocked

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.