Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#143702 - 08/11/08 05:15 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Quote:
Coins operate vending machines, mini-mart tire inflators and the increasingly rare payphone. But, when held in the fist, they dramatically improve the effectiveness of a punch, and can be placed in a sock or other sack to make a pretty good defensive weapon or tool to, for example, bust out a laminated window. Oh yeah, it'll also pay for lunch.

Very true Jeff, however, My vehicle has a small slot where coins go in the console, as well there is a change compartment in my wallet so normally in an urban setting I have places for quarters already and don't regard them as survival items. Anything held in the fist can be a weapon be it a pop bottle or a can of soup you grab off of a store shelf. I am wearing socks on my feet at the moment, they are warm and snuggy but I do not include them or the change in my pocket as part of a survival kit. That was the only point I was making

Fair 'nuff. ;-) If you'll allow me to use that as a point of departure, my personal POV is that just about anything I can lay my hands on may become a survival item, up to and including the lint in the corner of my pocket (fire tender). I have had the unfortunate necessity to hit an assailant with, ahem, several found objects that happened to be within reach at the time, but the less said about that, the better. Socks can be used to carry and protect the unlubricated condom found in some mini survival kits, once filled with water (the intended use of the condom). I once patched a slit bicycle tire sidewall with a dollar bill.

There is an ugly racist term for such improvisation, that a black friend of mine wittily re-styled into "Afro-engineering," since he is an absolute genius at problem solving. Anyone care to share their favorite examples of "Field Expedient" improvisation?

Jeff

#143706 - 08/11/08 05:33 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

I am wearing socks on my feet at the moment, they are warm and snuggy but I do not include them or the change in my pocket as part of a survival kit. That was the only point I was making

Oh, I forgot to add that socks also make cool puppets! (great pic, sockpuppet)

Jeff

#143749 - 08/11/08 09:39 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Quote:
I forgot to add that socks also make cool puppets!

Roger that, You should see my underwear puppet.

Cheers mate.

Um, Thanks, but I think I'll pass on that one. ;-)

Jeff

#143812 - 08/12/08 04:00 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Rodion]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't know, I will have to ask her. But trust me, she is no charlatan...

#145936 - 08/26/08 12:54 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Pansy]
Stoneraven Offline
Stranger

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is a glue stick - the kind that goes into a glue gun. I have one in my kit. Weighs practically nothing. A single stick wil go a long way. Just heat up one end and use what you need. Sort of a modern pitch stick if you like.

#146056 - 08/26/08 10:26 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Then add water and fireravens and the alchemical circle shall be complete.

MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#151431 - 10/09/08 06:07 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Pansy]
Charles Offline
Stranger

I haven't read through this tread entirely but I'll add a couple of things.

Ditch the rubber bands. As others have mentioned they're way too short-lived. Get some old innertubes from bikes, cut those up and there you have it, "Ranger Bands." They don't suffer from the heat and exposure problems plus they burn really good so you've got a great tinder.

Big safety pins are great. They can be used for all sorts of things, including if needed closing a gaping wound or keeping the tongue out of an unconcious patients throat. (Yes, they'll hate you for it later but at least they'll have a later)

That's all I can think of but I'll look through my stuff for some more. Great thread.

Charlie

#151534 - 10/10/08 07:56 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: ]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
As far as the "Afro-engineering", my dad calls it "Jack Leg Inc." whenver he expedites a repair. He used a golf tee and duct tape to get my truck running one time, and was known to pick up just about anything that washed ashore when he was out on his boat, just in case.

One piece of gear that the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy says is absolutely indispensable, is a towell. Because of the series of books by Douglas Adams I always have a towell in my kit.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.