Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#151195 - 10/07/08 07:41 PM Practicing with fire extinguishers
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
While passing by inside the university, I saw a stall where some emergency personel were exhibiting their first aid and fire fighting stuff or something.

They are making a drawing lot and the winner gets a first aid kit or a fire extinguisher depending.

I talked a little with the guys at the fire stall. He asked me if I ever used a fire extinguisher. I said no and we went in a yard to show me how it works (without a fire). I practiced the PASS method with a water based fire extinguisher (kind of heavy) and now I got familiar with it. Then he used a dry powder fire extinguisher, I believe 5 lb. It developed a large cloud of vapor and the wind blew it in our direction so we had to bug-out. I felt some vapor on my face, which has a funny odor and taste (I guess I inhaled a small amount). I'm ok, it was not enough to be irritating.

Is this stuff toxic or something? I've read you cannot wash it with water as it is reactive and corrosive. I wish I never have to use one in my apartement.

Frankie

#151199 - 10/07/08 08:52 PM Re: Practicing with fire extinguishers [Re: Frankie]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
The dry chem powder can irritate your lungs, eyes, skin, etc. but that's pretty much it. If you're asthmatic, I suppose it could trigger an attack.

To clean up, I believe it is generally recommended that you sweep or vacuum the powder up. Don't use water. You're right, it's corrosive. I would kiss the electronics in my TV or computer good-bye, probably, if I ever had to blast it with dry chem powder.

I'm taking an 8-week emergency preparedness course now and we did the fire extinguisher training a couple weeks ago. They have this bucket of water hooked up to a BBQ propane tank that bubbles up the propane from the bottom of the bucket. Since propane is heavier than air, it just forms a layer in the bottom of the bucket, floating above the water. Everyone in the class took turns practicing PASS. A fire fighter just used a road flare attached to a pole to relight the flame between students. We did kick up quite a bit of dry chem powder.

#151203 - 10/07/08 09:08 PM Re: Practicing with fire extinguishers [Re: Frankie]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I was a firefighter for 30 years and have been covered by many dry chem extinguishers with no problems. This should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher

#151307 - 10/08/08 10:39 PM Re: Practicing with fire extinguishers [Re: big_al]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I trained with one of these years ago..Then later got to use one for real...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.