The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#150618 - 10/01/08 07:09 PM Re: bail out? [Re: Yuccahead]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
While I subscribe to Adam Smith's philosophy, you appear to fall into the Keynesian category. And never the twain shall meet. (Note to moderators: this isn't politics or religion, it's economics.)

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
smooth economic growth is much preferred over volatile up and down swings.

If we stipulate that this is true, I still don't see how we would expect the government to be competent to smooth out the swings. How's it been workin' out fer ya so far?

This is the overriding reason that banks have had a defacto government guarantee on their existence and the reason banks are rescued (or are forced to merge).

In other words, we have spoiled the child for years, so now its too late for tough love.

saving banks that are "too big to fail" has been recognized as prudent financial management in spite of the moral hazard issues.

Perhaps if they were allowed to fail when they have proven to be stupid, it would reduce the number of Stupid Huge Banks That Must Not Fail Because A Lot Of Innocent People Would Be Hurt.

Lending stopped.

I'm not certain that all lending has stopped. Although I'm sure some lending by stupid people to broke people has stopped.

My point is, sure some people acted stupidly and might have become undeservedly wealthy and now deserved to pay a steep price, but I don't see any reason to ruin the entire global economy just to ensure that someone gets punished.

For me, its not at all about punishing anyone, even the CEO's with golden parachutes. My point is, when a company is stupid, or even unlucky, it fails, thus reducing the ammount of unlucky stupid companies in the market. When we bail these idiots out for the sake of the common good, we are actually harming the common good.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#150635 - 10/01/08 08:55 PM Re: bail out? [Re: thseng]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Some good points certainly. The unlucky/stupid sentence in the last paragraph is great.

When you ask, "How's it been workin' out fer ya so far?" I would say better than if we didn't have a central bank. There has not been a depression in this country in nearly 70 years. Before that, they happened roughly every 20 years. In this sense, I'm more of a monetarist than a Keynesian. I don't trust a government to do this at all.

However, an independent central bank -- with the power to save failing banks -- seems to be the best solution we have going right now. The 'bailout' has different actors with, supposedly, a similar goal to Fed action. It is a US Treasury (i.e. government) led effort to restore confidence by providing good cash for rotten assets to many banks all at one time. Given the motivation of the actors, the bi-partisan nature and the current credit market collapse, I'm in favor of it right now. (Here, I might understand the Keynesian comment). Without a bailout, the risks of a global economic collapse are very high.

(I didn't mean to imply all lending had stopped, but that lending via commercial paper and inter-bank lending had effectively stopped. As of yesterday, it doesn't seem to have resumed. Many companies with good balance sheets are scrambling.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 569 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.