Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#150571 - 10/01/08 11:52 AM bail out?
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
this is just a off the wall thought .im shure theres alot of folks that know more about my ?.ok if they dont pass the bail out an we hit real hard times .guess im sayin we hit rock bottom as americans are used to big life styles .recon in the long run it might help us to straighten our prioritys in life ,an start liven alitle less high on the hog? an then maybe mine an yours (kids) will have a chance in hell to have a good life?i think us is changen to only 2 classes of people not 3 .alot like the rest of the countrys we try an save .(rich/poor) no middle class.what do yall think im 40yrs old an not very up on world politics but in my litle part of the world this is the way it seems.thxs yall .

#150586 - 10/01/08 02:17 PM Re: bail out? [Re: mountainboy]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
To me, it's obvious that if things get worse, you will be more likely to see 2 classes instead of 3. If people are not at the higher end of the employable scale (well-educated, skilled, young, fit, whatever), they are going to have much more trouble finding work in bad times. There won't be prosperity to drag society's less employable up into middle class.

#150590 - 10/01/08 02:31 PM Re: bail out? [Re: Yuccahead]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
For a bail out, I suggest that after you jump clear of the aircraft, arch your back and count to ten, then LOOK at the ripcord handle, grab it with BOTH hands and pull it straight out from your body. When the chute opens, look up at it to make sure it's fully inflated. Then prepare for landing with your feet together and your knees slightly bent. Try to roll when you hit. Once you're down, pull hand over hand on a few shroud lines to collapse the chute.

As far as the US economy goes, 90% of the current problem is just people freaking out. The other 10% of the problem is caused by unintended consequences of goverment interference. The rush for the goverment to "fix" the "problem" is causing the rest of the people to freak out.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#150591 - 10/01/08 02:39 PM Re: bail out? [Re: thseng]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
More like 50-50. The government's 50% came by interfering with the free market system in the first place.

#150593 - 10/01/08 02:50 PM Re: bail out? [Re: Russ]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Vote No Bailout If you are so inclined, you can easily send your Congressional Representatives emails telling them to vote no from this link. Remember everyone, they work for us!! They must follow the will of the people...

#150595 - 10/01/08 03:38 PM Re: bail out? [Re: Themalemutekid]
Yuccahead Offline

Whatever the cause (panic, government regulation, lack of government regulation), the fact is, the credit market has collapsed. commercial paper trading and interbank lending, two huge lubricants of our economy have stopped. Soon, companies will be forced to stop construction, additional hiring and R&D to name just a few things. Other companies that are otherwise profitable but have to borrow just to cover seasonal fluctuations in their business will be forced out of business (e.g. retailers, farmers).

To give some anecdotal evidence on top of the news I now hear everywhere, where I live, a huge very reputable construction company just walked away from a $100 million project because its financing vanished. It painfully left $3 million behind in escrow. If you think the "Bailout" is about saving fat cats, consider the thousands of construction jobs that now won't exist just because of the collapse of one local deal. Things like this are being repeated in every town and company across the country.

#150601 - 10/01/08 04:57 PM Re: bail out? [Re: Yuccahead]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You're correct Yuccahead but the longer we support the ongoing fiasco, the bigger and deeper the fall that we will take.

IMO, it's better to let it fall now, straighten out the practices (the same ones that led to the Great Depression), pick up the pieces, and get things going again.

#150611 - 10/01/08 06:28 PM Re: bail out? [Re: wildman800]
Yuccahead Offline

I of course feel differently. Without a bailout, we will end up with a much bigger recession or even a depression. With a bailout, we will hopefully have something not much more painful than the recession of the early 90's.

In spite of the philosophical issues that everyone agrees upon such as not punishing bad behavior and other 'moral hazards', smooth economic growth is much preferred over volatile up and down swings. This is the overriding reason that banks have had a defacto government guarantee on their existence and the reason banks are rescued (or are forced to merge).

Prior to the emergence of central bank rescues, a single bank failure/run could and would ruin an economy for years. Panic would spread from city to country and around the globe. Since the Fed stepped in and saved Continental Illinois Bank in the 1984, saving banks that are "too big to fail" has been recognized as prudent financial management in spite of the moral hazard issues.

Most reports I have heard have blamed the current total collapse of parts of the credit market on the Fed making a point that it wouldn't save save every bank if bank management was stupid. The Fed refused to save Lehman Brothers Bank and suddenly, financial risk managers realized that their seemingly stable counter parties may not be there next week. Lending stopped.

My point is, sure some people acted stupidly and might have become undeservedly wealthy and now deserved to pay a steep price, but I don't see any reason to ruin the entire global economy just to ensure that someone gets punished.

#150613 - 10/01/08 06:39 PM Re: bail out? [Re: wildman800]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
If a person is falling from a cliff, is it better to let them hit the ground, and then patch them up, or is it better to cushion the fall?

Recovery from a sudden crash of any sort is a much longer and more painful with a longer recovery period than is necessary or desirable.

#150616 - 10/01/08 07:02 PM Re: bail out? [Re: LeeG]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: LeeG
If a person is falling from a cliff, is it better to let them hit the ground, and then patch them up, or is it better to cushion the fall?

I'd bet that an attempt to cushion the fall would fail miserably and it might even result in injury or death to those attempting to do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 569 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
Yesterday at 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.