The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#150424 - 09/30/08 12:29 AM Emergency Contact Card
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Since I'm broke again (well, it depends on what you call broke. I only owe a quarter million dollars eek) I can't really buy new gear. So I'm focusing on low cost preparedness. Right now my next step is the Emergency Contact Cards.

I want to make my own wallet-sized emergency contact cards. For the ER personels, if I end up there, I thought I should rather print this information on a separate metal dog tag since it won't burn. If they search for my driver's license or Medicare card they will also find this laminated card and (or) the dog tags. But for my own information in an emergency situation, I'm thinking of putting the information relevant to myself on separate contact cards.

I'm planning on using the Red Cross as a starting template model.

What I'm going to include there are:

- Area hospitals and CLSC (adresses and phone numbers);
- Police department (9-1-1 and an alternative phone number);
- Our Poison control center;
- Fire departement (9-1-1 and an alternative phone number);
- Ambulance (9-1-1 and an alternative phone number);
- about three family members (my brother, my parents and an out-of-town contact, probably my sister...) adresses, phone numbers, cell phone numbers and emails.

I'll do that either in InDesign, QuarkXpress or MS Word and use a very readable typeface such as Frutiger and bring it to a Service Bureau to have them print it on a heavy "card stock paper" and maybe laminate it for durability. But If I get it laminated will it be foldable?

On the dog tags I'll include "no allergies" and my "blood type" in the event a blood transfusion is required and my inoculation history (if there is room!?) since this kind of information is geared toward emergency personel.

Am I missing other important information? They also recommend putting your personal physician but I don't have one. Did you do this kind of thing?

Thank you.
Frankie

#150428 - 09/30/08 12:51 AM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: Frankie]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
It may have been here that I read this, but someplace I saw the idea that all contact info and medical info be put on a USB flash drive keychain. This way all important info is with you and can easily be updated with any computer.

Having had a heart attack & Stints, I’m supposed to carry a cardboard card with the info on the stints. I don’t always have it with me as cardboard is not too durable and it sits in my van many times. A USB drive on my keychain, it would be with me all the time.

I don’t know if anyone makes a keychain based flash drive that is durable?

I have seen carabineer USB drives that could work, but don’t know how they would hold up in a pocket next to a bunch of keys.

Does anyone know if a company makes a tough USB drive that would work for this?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#150433 - 09/30/08 01:14 AM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: ]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If I were you I'd check out your local Wal-Mart (If you have them in Canada. I don't know!) cause ours have machines that let you make custom Dog tags, ID tags and pet tags. So I'd say....make a bracelet or something if you have any special medical condition, you know? It's a cost effective way to do it.

We do have Wal-Marts (we call them Wal-Marde, marde meaning sh*t in french canadian...) so I'll check it out! Thanks for the info.

#150440 - 09/30/08 02:39 AM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: BobS]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol

#150443 - 09/30/08 03:08 AM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: Frankie]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Perhaps include name(s) and dosage(s) of any presciption medication(s) you are taking...

#150444 - 09/30/08 03:10 AM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: BobS]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: BobS
I don’t know if anyone makes a keychain based flash drive that is durable?

People ask about this from time to time, and although it sounds like a neat idea, the general consensus seems to be that in practice, no ER staff is going to use it. I personally would not plug some unknown USB drive into my computer. I seriously doubt that any hospital's IT policy would allow it either. And a USB drive certainly does you no good as far the ambulance crew is concerned.

IMHO, you're better off with a Medic Alert bracelet/pendant and keep your info up to date with the company.

#150450 - 09/30/08 04:01 AM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: nurit]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: nurit
Perhaps include name(s) and dosage(s) of any presciption medication(s) you are taking...

I'm not taking any prescription medication. I may add the landlord's phone number in case I forget it. Could be useful.

Frankie

#150479 - 09/30/08 02:23 PM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: Frankie]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I carry an emergency information card in my wallet. I print it on card stock and it holds up very well. I try to change it whenever something changes, but if I can't print another one, I can at least change the old one with a pen. Better than laminating which can't be changed.

It includes our present RV's location and a description of the camper and truck We are full time RV'ers so this changes frequently. I write it on the back of the card.

Also notices about health care power of attorney and other legal stuff and their locations.

Another section has family contact information.

There is a section listing my major medical issues and names/phone numbers of cardiologists etc.

The whole thing is the width of a credit card and about 4 times as long. I keep it in the ID pocket of my wallet. Anyone opening it will see my photo with large print identifying it as an emergency information sheet.

In my wallet I carry a small SD card. About the size of a postage stamp. It has all my personal information and medical records. (all encrypted of course). It is not intended for use by emergency personnel, but by either me or my family. Because we travel so much my hardcopy medical records may not be easily available.

The SD card is 2gigs and cost about $16 @ wal-mart. It came in a very small plastic case which lives in a zipper pocket in my wallet with some keys and such. Been there for a long time and it seems to survive ok. I don't remember the brand, (I removed the label) but some have a larger case. Look for the small case one. Very rugged and fits in my wallet with no problem.

I also have a large collection of manuals and other "cheat sheets" on the card. Stuff like the entire service manual for my diesel truck, amateur radio equipment, a lot of medical books like Merck, Grays anatomy and a whole lot of other stuff. It is amazing what you can put on a 2gig card.

nomad

#150485 - 09/30/08 03:31 PM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: Nomad]
HerbG Offline

You can go online and print out your own free medical alert card at: www.medids.com/free-id.php There is enough room to lists medications and other important information.

I wear an inexpensive medical alert dog tag from: www.id-ideas.com/medical.html It is a red aluminum tag that includes the medical Caduceus to help it stand out to emergency medical personnel. The tag is laser engraved rather than stamped and it includes important medical conditions as well as physician contact info.

#150490 - 09/30/08 04:08 PM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: Nomad]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
For personal carry, I would ask you to spend $20 for a Road ID RoadID. Of the two choices you can put all your info on 5 lines or store it online and there is a web address on the tag for people to access online. Road ID come in bracelets, Dog tags and anklets. Because I use mine when training outdoors I use the anklet since my legs are bare. They have many colors. Their velcro so when not in use its on the outside of whatever bag I have with me.

Another option, though not fireproof is to get a hard smooth card like a hotel door card or old drivers license then use a brother p-touch or other label maker, get all your info on the card then laminate it.

I personally really like the Road ID's. I don't have the DogTag but have seen them. They are quite heavy and stylish compared to GI issue.

#150513 - 09/30/08 06:51 PM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: Nomad]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Here is a flash drive for medical info.

Quote:
MedicTag is a digital USB personal medical alert and information device that combines your emergency information with today's technology. A digital memory chip is used to store all your information on the easy to use MedicTag medical history and alert form and the distinctive styling and bright logo will alert medic personnel to your special needs and existing medical conditions.

Medic Tag

Here is another heavy duty flash drive that I am looking at for sensitive personal information.

Quote:
IronKey has gone all-out to protect your data, identity, and privacy. In addition to IronKey's fortified hardware, software, and network security architecture, the IronKey is designed so that it cannot be physically tampered with or disassembled by a determined hacker.

Iron Key

#150541 - 09/30/08 11:58 PM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: stevenpd]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

These USB flash drives are mentioned from time to time and the general consensus is they are nearly useless. The majority of first responders either don't have time to use it or don't have laptops. the majority of er's are the same, either lack of time or resources. Also any good IT person would never allow it, way too easy to pick up a virus that way.

#150560 - 10/01/08 04:23 AM Re: Emergency Contact Card [Re: Frankie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Oops I forgot an important phone number, my "municipality" in case 9-1-1 is unavailable, or if the water has become contaminated and I have questions or to locate a public shelter... I don't even know where to find that phone number but I'm searching... I'll also add the electric supply authority phone number (Hydro Québec).

Edited by Frankie (10/01/08 04:29 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot another phone number

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.