I saw a TV memorial for Paul Newman this morning that pointed out something interesting and maybe a bit relevant. The interviewer asked him what accounted for his success, he said in so many words it was luck - having good looks, an interest in acting etc, the rest was 'easy'. By the same token though, there are a whole lot of people who don't have the same luck in life, and by this he doesn't mean anything like a lack of preparedness: in particular he meant kids who get struck down with cancer, or MS, or other illnesses they have no control over. Those are in the path of the hurricane - they don't get any do overs in life. Which motivated Paul to start his first Hole in the Wall Gang camp, since extended to at least a dozen or so, all offering camp and outdoor experiences to sick and disabled kids, for free.

I can't untwist his whole ethic myself, but met Paul Newman briefly late in his life when he wanted to buy Carnation Farms to create Camp Korey, which was recently completed, kids are having great fun there now. I got the impression that the hard luck these kids had run into touched him somehow, and his response was as real as it is generous - get the kids out where they can "hike, fish and raise a little hell." Subtext, in as little time as they have left. He was a good man, he sure stomped the terra. I have in my mind a picture of Paul Newman surrounded by thousands of kids, welcoming him over to the other side now. Good on you Paul, rest in peace.

Edited by Lono (09/28/08 06:48 PM)